× Members

ESA and permitted work

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128314 by Ruby100
ESA and permitted work was created by Ruby100
Hi,
I'm trying to find out some info re ESA and permitted work. I was migrated onto ESA from IB and I am in the support group.

Since being on IB I have done some low-level permitted work. I can do this even whilst in hospital as it's all 'from home' and on a computer.

I have been offered some work - I need to know can the work be averaged over a year? The work is for 11 weeks (as long as I can manage it) and is for 4 hours per week over 2 days.

In addition, could anyone please confirm that in the ESA Support Group it is possible to earn up to £104 after tax and NI for an unlimited period of time. I have tried calling the Benefit Helpline but they told me it's '52 weeks on then 52 weeks of'. I explained I was in the Support Group and was previously told differently whereupon she backed off and said the rules are very complicated and she's probably got that wrong! Now, however, I'm worrying!

Thanks for your help,

Ruby
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #128326 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA and permitted work
Hi Ruby,

I'm not sure of the rules relating to averaging earnings so I will leave this for Gordon to answer!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 4 months ago #128327 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and permitted work
Ruby

You say that you are already doing Permitted Work, has this been agreed by the DWP, as it is not PW if they have not? You cannot assume that an approval made while you were receiving IB will still apply now that you are receiving ESA.

I think it very unlikely that the DWP will average your hours or earnings over a year, there is no relation between the earnings you mention in your post and a yearly payment cycle, if you are concerned that your wages will exceed the higher limits for PW then I need to warn you that exceeding either the maximum income or hours allowed will result in your claim being closed.

While you are in the SG there is no limit to the period that you can perform PW for. I would ask the DWP to confirm what the earning limit is and what are acceptable deductions, the legislation does not make this entirely clear and there have been increases in the limit that I am unable to find a definitive source for.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 4 months ago #128333 by Ruby100
Replied by Ruby100 on topic ESA and permitted work
Hi Both

Thanks for your replies. i will do as you suggest

Best wishes

Ruby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris