× Members

Housing benefits

• Mike
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #128603 by Mike
Housing benefits was created by Mike
Hi

Not sure if anyone will know anything about housing benefits and how they work but going to give it a go.

I am currently not living in my own property and am going from one friends couch to another. I am interested in claiming housing benefit for a private property and would like some information on how to go about this.

I am currently awaiting my review for ESA, providing I am awarded this. How do I go about applying for a private rented property.

Thanks in advance

Mike.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #128610 by
Replied by on topic Housing benefits

Mike wrote: Hi

Not sure if anyone will know anything about housing benefits and how they work but going to give it a go.

I am currently not living in my own property and am going from one friends couch to another. I am interested in claiming housing benefit for a private property and would like some information on how to go about this.

I am currently awaiting my review for ESA, providing I am awarded this. How do I go about applying for a private rented property.

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Hi M,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

We don't advise on Housing Benefit (HB), however I can provide some basic generic information for you.

If you are looking to rent a Privately Rented Accommodation, it would be : Local Housing Allowance (LHA) that you apply for, rather than HB.

HB is applicable for renting from Social Landlords. (Councils, Housing Associations, etc)

Your application for LHA should be made to the relevant department of your Local Authority. (LA) (Council)

Each LA has it's own rates of LHA which are applicable to the type/size of property that you wish to rent. (Number of bedrooms, etc)

e.g. There will be a maximum applicable rent for the size of the property. This will be applicable for Privately Rented Properties of that size in your area.

Therefore, you could find out the maximum LHA that you can claim before looking for the property.

As seen : Here.

You should be able to find further information by visiting your LA/Council's Website.

Just to add, HB is also administered by your LA.

You can also seek advice from The CAB or the like :

Where to get advice

Hope this helps, and good luck in finding a suitable, affordable accommodation.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

• Mike
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #130079 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Housing benefits
Thanks for your help, have only just seen this. Finally know how to find my own posts lol.

• Mike
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #139885 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Housing benefits
Hi

I have found a property I would like to private rent. What is the procedure for this? Do i need to apply for housing benefits before i move in to the property or wait until I am in. Also is there any way I can get help with a deposit.

Thanks in advance

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #139893 by
Replied by on topic Housing benefits
Hi M,

I have merged your post of today with your previous duplicate query where I have already provided advice.

As stated there, we do not give specific advice regarding HB and LHA.

If you are having trouble finding your previous topics, you can either left click your mouse/pad on your blue username : Mike which will bring up a list of your previous topics, or you can Bookmark/Favourite the page with your topic on in your Internet Browser to create a quick link back to it.

bro58

More
8 years 8 months ago #139903 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Housing benefits
Hi Mike,

I believe some areas do have schemes that help people with deposits. However, every council does things slightly differently so you will have to have a look at the area you wish to move to.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.