× Members

ESA Contribution based.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #128664 by Brawn
ESA Contribution based. was created by Brawn
My contribution based ESA is due to expire on April 12th. I've heard nothing about a medical. Do you think they hope people like me run out of time as we can only claim for 365 days - I presume after 365 days they will no longer look at me for a medical.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #128690 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Contribution based.

Lea wrote: My contribution based ESA is due to expire on April 12th. I've heard nothing about a medical. Do you think they hope people like me run out of time as we can only claim for 365 days - I presume after 365 days they will no longer look at me for a medical.

The absurdity of the situation is that a claimant can have a two year re-assessment period but have their payments stopped after just one year.

You still have some options.

If you believe that your conditions have deteriorated to the point that you now meet the Support Group criteria and that deterioration is documented, then you can ask to be re-assessed, however, this will not prevent your payments stopping and it could take a year for a new Decision to be made, but if successful your payments would be backdated to the date that you made the request or April12, whichever is later.

You can also ask to be assessed for Income Related ESA, if you meet the means test then you can receive ESA(IR) without interruption even if you remain in the WRAG, but you will likely be asked to attend Work Focussed Interview, to participate in Work Related Activity and you may be forwarded to the Work Programme. The payment of ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you think you would be eligible then you should request an ESA3 form from the DWP about four week before your ESA(CB) stops.

If you are not eligible for ESA(IR) then you will continue to receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension, you will still be subject to regular re-assessment, but as long as you continue to be viewed as having Limited Capability for Work, you will have the right to be re-assessed for the SG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #128692 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Contribution based.
Hi Lea,

The whole ESA reassessment process is in disarray with huge backlogs of cases. For this reason, reassessments have been suspended in many areas.

If you are on contributory ESA, in the WRAG then, as you said, payment will cease after 365 days unless you are also entitled to income-related ESA. This depends on the household income and assets plus any hours worked by a partner (if relevant). If you think you might be entitled then you should request an ESA3 from DWP and get it submitted as soon as practicable.

You will still be subject to periodic reassessments, once they have restarted, and payment of ESA would restart if you were placed into the Support Group at any stage. As you say, it looks unlikely that any such reassessment would be considered a priority at the moment. If you can show that your condition has worsened since your last assessment then you can contact DWP yourself and get reassessment under way.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.