× Members

dla appeal won, now they are quirying the backdate

• Katherine Walker
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #128762 by Katherine Walker
dla appeal won, now they are quirying the backdate was created by Katherine Walker
My disabled son has won an appeal at a tribunal, he was already getting Dla care and lower Mobility I fought to get higher mobility because he had a breakdown in May 2010 th Judge granted the appeal and backdated it from May 2010 but not the Dla are trying to dispute the Judges decision can they do this?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #128770 by bro58
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Unfortunately, The DWP can challenge a First Tier Tribunal (FTT) Decision, much the same as The Appellant (You) can.

The procedures are the same for either party.

They would first have to request a : Written Statement of Reasons from The FTT within one month of the date of The FTT Decision Notice.

If after receiving The Written Statement of Reasons, (S of R) they think that they have grounds to appeal, they have one month from the date of The S of R to seek leave to appeal to The Upper Tier Tribunal. (UTT)

Like with The Appellant, they cannot simply seek leave to appeal to The UTT because they do not agree with The FTT decision, they must show that The FTT have been errant in law in coming to their decision :

What is an Error of Law?

You will know if the DWP have requested a S of R as you will also receive a copy and notification.

The DWP do not have to make any payments to you as a result of the favourable FTT decision until either, it decided that the DWP cannot progress with an appeal to The UTT, or if it goes to The UTT, and a positive decision is made, or as usually happens, it is referred back to The FTT with directions, and the fresh FTT hearing still finds in your favour.

See also : Appealing to The Upper Tier, DR UK Factsheet

To be clear, this is not the same as The DWP disputing the date that any arrears should be backdated from.

As any FTT Decision is a remaking of the original adverse decision under appeal, arrears should be paid from the date of the original adverse decision.

Hope this helps.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.