× Members

DLA Renewal - Jules22

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #128969 by Jules22
DLA Renewal - Jules22 was created by Jules22
Hi, I have received my re-newel form too. But I have a massive problem! Just looking through the form has made me ill! I still haven't filled it in and I can't bare to even think about it! My health problems have deteriorated so badly since my original claim and now this! the pressure is so immense because I know I have to fill it in but I fear it so badly that I've been having panic and anxiety attacks more frequently than ever! I'm worried that most of the questions are 'trick' questions and I'm afraid that they're deliberately turning everyone down now with their re-claims as they're trying to get rid of DLA! The whole thing just makes me feel terrified! I know I have it all out of proportion because it's just a 'stupid form' at the end of the day, but I feel so badly stressed out about it and I don't know how to just deal with it?

I look at it then start to panic, I just don't have a clue how to fill it in! Or I should say; I just can't bring myself to fill it in! I don't know how to articulate just how bad things are? And believe me, things really couldn't get any worse! I know this all sounds ridiculous but these forms really can cause a huge amount of stress when forced upon people who are already very unwell.

ps: I'm now about 90% house/bed-bound but I'm afraid to tell them that because I've read online that I would also be saying ''I don't need any help to get around/go outside''..because I don't go outside or try to get around...Do you see why I'm afraid of the form? ''panic, panic, panic!'
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129034 by
Replied by on topic DLA Renewal - Jules22

Jules22 wrote: Hi, I have received my re-newel form too. But I have a massive problem! Just looking through the form has made me ill! I still haven't filled it in and I can't bare to even think about it! My health problems have deteriorated so badly since my original claim and now this! the pressure is so immense because I know I have to fill it in but I fear it so badly that I've been having panic and anxiety attacks more frequently than ever! I'm worried that most of the questions are 'trick' questions and I'm afraid that they're deliberately turning everyone down now with their re-claims as they're trying to get rid of DLA! The whole thing just makes me feel terrified! I know I have it all out of proportion because it's just a 'stupid form' at the end of the day, but I feel so badly stressed out about it and I don't know how to just deal with it?

I look at it then start to panic, I just don't have a clue how to fill it in! Or I should say; I just can't bring myself to fill it in! I don't know how to articulate just how bad things are? And believe me, things really couldn't get any worse! I know this all sounds ridiculous but these forms really can cause a huge amount of stress when forced upon people who are already very unwell.

ps: I'm now about 90% house/bed-bound but I'm afraid to tell them that because I've read online that I would also be saying ''I don't need any help to get around/go outside''..because I don't go outside or try to get around...Do you see why I'm afraid of the form? ''panic, panic, panic!'

Hi J22,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I have given your post it's own topic to avoid confusion.

We do understand how much distress these forms can cause. :(

I would strongly advise you to fill it in and return it though, see :

When should I send my renewal form back?

There is guidance on this page : DLA Guides

Under the heading : DLA Changes and Renewals around a third of the way down the page.

Then if you go to the top of the same page, you will see our DLA Claims Guides, 2nd & 3rd links from the top.

You might also find the Guidance given to DWP DLA Decision Makers helpful :

DM Guide DLA & AA

Remember, when explaining your "Care" needs, you do not have to be actually receiving the care, it is whether the care is "Reasonably Required". This is so people living alone who do not have someone that cares for them can still receive a DLA Care Award.

Even if you don't go out that much, you can still receive a DLA Mobility Award.

You should explain which limitations make it difficult for you to "Walk" outside, and why.

DLA Mobility is a "Walking Test", and any distance that you can walk after the onset of severe pain, discomfort, breathlessness, etc should not be counted in the total distance that you can walk.

You can also receive a Mobility Award for being "Virtually Unable to Walk" and a lower rate Mobility Award if your activities outside are limited by mental health issues.

Our guides explain all this for you.

If you do not return your DLA Renewal, your current DLA award will lapse, and DLA payments will cease.

You would then have to make a totally fresh claim for PIP, as you cannot make fresh claims for DLA anymore in mainland U.K.

The qualifying criteria for PIP is a lot more stringent in many of the criteria, so it may be in your best interests to gain a DLA renewal.

It may then be several years before you are invited to claim PIP.

Most of our members who have recently renewed their DLA have had positive outcomes.

If you are still really struggling with the form, you could contact Age UK if you are over 50 years old.

They can even fill in the forms for you in some instances.

Here are some other potential sources of advice :

Where to get advice

Or, you could put Welfare Rights/Advice for your Town/Postcode into Google.

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your internet browser.

You can then return to easily for future reference and/or posing any further queries by replying to the topic.

I do hope this helps, and try not to worry too much !! :)

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

• clarinda
9 years 3 months ago #129214 by clarinda
Replied by clarinda on topic DLA Renewal - Jules22
Hi

I understand your anxiety and feel for you. I would like to share my very recent experience of DLA renewal and I hope it helps

This is my first post here but I have just had to complete a DLA renewal and received notification of DLA award today at the same rate . It was unbelievably quick . It only took 10 days from the date they received it to process ...I was stunned.....and very relieved!

The award was for lower rate mobility and middle rate care.

I am a carer for my husband and who is housebound and spends the majority of the day on his bed. He has only left the house in the past year for medical appointments, all of which I described on the form . He cannot cope with filling in the forms so I always fill them in for him and he signs. I state this on the form that I am filling it in and why.

I asked his GP for a letter confirming his various conditions and medications and sent this in with the form.

The guides on here are very helpful .......Do you have anyone who could help fill in the form in for you?

p.s I am dyspraxic and dyslexic which means my handwriting is terrible and I make loads of crossing outs when I write and it takes me ages. As a result the form looked a bit of a mess by the time I was finished as i made so many mistakes as i kept misreading questions and having to go back and cross out what i'd written and rewrite. I also made a note on the form explaining that i was dyslexic and dyspraxic . So in my experience it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as its readable.

I really feel for everyone who has to go through this process.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129946 by Jules22
Replied by Jules22 on topic DLA Renewal - Jules22
Thanks so much for replying, the links are really helpful bro :) And thanks Clarinda for your input, very helpful.

I'm wading through the form but I'm struggling on evidence/reports because my GP has just retired and I didn't see him for the past 2 years or so due to the fact that he was pretty useless! He did come out to see me which I was grateful for as I can't get to the surgery but he didn't really show any interest in my problems.

I'm also worried about the 'aids' question; I use a wheelchair if I really have to go out, I bought it myself as I can't walk but I can't use it in my flat as there is no room. Will telling them that I use my chair (someone needs to push me though) go against me? and the fact that I bought it myself?

Also I lost my car due to mechanical problems 2 years ago and find it impossible to get around now, my DLA mobility award did not have enough time left on it for me to get another car as they required 2/3 years but I had just less than two years left so I couldn't get one.

I really need my DLA mobility to stay at the high rate so that I can get another car, but will they say I don't need a car/higher rate because I use a wheelchair?

I'm also stuck when it comes to the 'hobbies' question, I don't have any hobbies anymore as I can't go out or do anything! Will it go against me if I don't answer the questions?

Thanks very much in advance if you can offer any advice?

More
9 years 2 months ago #129953 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Renewal - Jules22
Jules

In regard to the evidence , it is what it is, many patients reach a place in their treatment where they are "parked" by the NHS because their treatment is stable and on-going. If you have old evidence and can show that your conditions are not liable to improve or indeed would reasonably be expected to deteriorate then you can include this. If not then just make the best case that you can.

DLA is a walking test so your using a wheelchair is not relevant, but if you use a wheelchair then it is important to explain that you do so because you cannot walk, not because it is easier for you than walking. DLA looks at what you cannot do rather than what you choose not to do!

It would help if you could answer the hobbies question, what they are interested in is what you used to be able to do, but now cannot do because of your limitations.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.