× Members

Working Tax Credits and Premiums

More
9 years 2 months ago #129320 by Puccalove
Working Tax Credits and Premiums was created by Puccalove
Can you receive any of the disability premiums whilst claiming working tax credits, assuming all other criteria are fulfilled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago #129337 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Working Tax Credits and Premiums

Puccalove wrote: Can you receive any of the disability premiums whilst claiming working tax credits, assuming all other criteria are fulfilled?

Hi Pl,

I am afraid that you could write what I know about Working Tax Credits on the back of a postage stamp, it's not something that I have ever dealt with.

I don't know whether Gordon or MHB wil be able to offer any help when they come on-line ?

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago #129350 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Working Tax Credits and Premiums
PL

I can't say for definite, as Bro says, it is not something we normally deal with.

From what I understand there would be two aspects to it, non-standard circumstances and standard ones (these are not terms used in relation to either set of benefits).

The non-standard situations which would include the 28 week run-on of Tax Credits after someone stops working or when someone is continuing to receive sick pay (not SSP), I'm not sure if there are others like this.

The standard would be the on-going payment of Tax Credits and the Premiums in parallel. In both cases I think that if there is a window for this to happen then it is a very small one.

Any Tax Credits being paid will be treated as income in regard to the Income Related Benefit that is enabling entitlement to payment of the Premiums, so as long as the Tax Credit payment and the income that produces it, does not erode the IR payment then the Premiums would be payable. Based on Minimum Wage income would be at least £104/week (£6.50 x 16) plus any TC's.

Looking at it the other way presents more problems, as I understand it a disabled person needs to work at least 16 hours a week to qualify for Tax Credits, I am not sure that any IR benefit allows this, for example the rule for Permitted Work is less than 16 hours. For a non-disabled person I believe the figure is 24 or more hours and again using ESA in regard a partner the maximum is less than 24 hours, so there is no overlap which is likely to be deliberate.

The bottom line is that this would be on a case by case basis and I would think the most likely scenario would be when the person has just stopped working.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puccalove

More
9 years 2 months ago #129355 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Working Tax Credits and Premiums
Sorry PL, I know nothing about WTC!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.