× Members

pip mobility award get esa SG?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129334 by little effie
pip mobility award get esa SG? was created by little effie
Hi again

I was just trying to work out if pip award stating mobilise 20 to 50 m should enable me to get ESA support group award on physical grounds? As previous post I used to get IB until atos took away a good while ago .
Any advice appreciated
Effie
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago #129345 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic pip mobility award get esa SG?

steffi wrote: Hi again

I was just trying to work out if pip award stating mobilise 20 to 50 m should enable me to get ESA support group award on physical grounds? As previous post I used to get IB until atos took away a good while ago .
Any advice appreciated
Effie

Hi s,

It "may" help, however PIP "Moving Around" is a "Walking Test" (Stand then Move)

The "Mobilising Test" for ESA not only includes walking aided or unaided, but you are also assessed on whether you could self propel a manual wheelchair unaided.

This is even if you have any owned, used, or been advised to use one, it is whether it would be "Reasonable" to expect you to use one.

ESA Activity 1 (Mobilising)

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

Descriptor 1. (Mobilising)

"1 Cannot either:

(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. "

This is all explained in our : ESA Claims Guides

The Physical Health Conditions Guide is the 3rd link down.

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129348 by little effie
Replied by little effie on topic pip mobility award get esa SG?
Hi bro,
Thanks for reply.l thought it looked like I could as I had to stop using my manual wheelchair a couple of Years ago or just go in circles as left arm not strong enough to push anymore.Just wanted some clarification as think I have become so fog brained didn't know if I was reading right.Don't know how you all keep up with all the q&a we all ask but really appreciate that you all do!
Effie

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129351 by bro58

steffi wrote: Hi bro,
Thanks for reply.l thought it looked like I could as I had to stop using my manual wheelchair a couple of Years ago or just go in circles as left arm not strong enough to push anymore.Just wanted some clarification as think I have become so fog brained didn't know if I was reading right.Don't know how you all keep up with all the q&a we all ask but really appreciate that you all do!
Effie

Hi s,

Upper limb problems such as you mention may mean that you cannot self propel a manual wheelchair unaided, so you should give details of any such limitations.

Other problems that may preclude self propelling a manual wheelchair could include, sitting limitations due to lower spinal problems, not being able to transfer to and from the wheelchair unaided, etc, etc.

You should include any/all limitations that preclude the use of a manual wheelchair. A letter from a treating HCP stating that it was not applicable to your limitations would help.

The main thing is that you address the "imaginary" manual wheel scenario with as much evidence as you may provide regarding walking aided or unaided the same distance.

It is widely accepted that a lot more energy and exertion is involved with self propelling a manual wheelchair than with walking.

Just to clarify, this is only pertaining to use of a "manually propelled wheelchair" the use of a motorised scooter of wheelchair does not count.

You must be able to self propel the manual wheelchair without anyone else pushing it or helping you.

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129704 by little effie
Replied by little effie on topic pip mobility award get esa SG?
Hi yet again.
I am having trouble doing the actual claim process!
I contacted the ESA by phone to let them know of my husbands intention to claim carers re my pip award and that I had been advised to claim ESA.
Firstly he said i couldn't claim in my own right.I said it would be ir not cb rate to which he replied my husband would need to stop his claim and then for me to claim!?
After going round and round I gave up and ended the call.
I phoned back and spoke to someone else who said to phone new claims and say we want to do a joint claim so that our ESA claims will be sorted on overall income.
I phoned new claims and explained yet again that hubbyn already in receipt of ir ESA and due to my health condition I wish to claim ESA and they just repeated my husband would have to do a joint claim and then looked and said he is already claiming for me .?? A top up ?
Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I thought we could both be in receipt of ESA as in both of us have illnesses/disabilities although due to being income related one of us would receive the payment. How do I go about actually getting a form or assessment for ESA without hubby having to close his claim .Or is there a way of wording it to them that I can't grasp?
Thanks in anticipation of help
Effie

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129710 by bro58

steffi wrote: Hi yet again.
I am having trouble doing the actual claim process!
I contacted the ESA by phone to let them know of my husbands intention to claim carers re my pip award and that I had been advised to claim ESA.
Firstly he said i couldn't claim in my own right.I said it would be ir not cb rate to which he replied my husband would need to stop his claim and then for me to claim!?
After going round and round I gave up and ended the call.
I phoned back and spoke to someone else who said to phone new claims and say we want to do a joint claim so that our ESA claims will be sorted on overall income.
I phoned new claims and explained yet again that hubbyn already in receipt of ir ESA and due to my health condition I wish to claim ESA and they just repeated my husband would have to do a joint claim and then looked and said he is already claiming for me .?? A top up ?
Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I thought we could both be in receipt of ESA as in both of us have illnesses/disabilities although due to being income related one of us would receive the payment. How do I go about actually getting a form or assessment for ESA without hubby having to close his claim .Or is there a way of wording it to them that I can't grasp?
Thanks in anticipation of help
Effie

Hi s,

A couple can make entirely separate individual claims for ESA.

However, to do this, they would both need to have the requisite number of NI Contributions gained from employment for the relevant Tax Years, (Currently 2012/13 13/14) for entitlement to payment of Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

So they can only have separate ESA claims if they are both entitled to CB ESA.

If one or none of them is entitled to CB ESA one of them can make a joint ESA claim as a couple.

IR ESA would then be paid to the claimant at the "couple rate".

Are you sure that your OH is not already receiving the couple rate ? :

Benefit Rates 2014

If not, he should be able to add you to his ESA Claim.

He would then receive all the IR ESA payments, including any ESA Premiums that you might have an entitlement to.

Have you tried one of the online benefits calculators to give you some idea where you stand :

Benefits Calculator

Benefits Calculator

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.