× Members

Childs DLA Appeal & New Claim

• sarahb254
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #129347 by sarahb254
Childs DLA Appeal & New Claim was created by sarahb254
Hello, I am hoping can give me some advice, my daughter has been turned down for DLA original claim dates back to July 2014, at Mandatory Reconsideration I sent in an 18 page document going onto detail about difficulties and that got turned down too, so now I have sent off Appeal forms. I have been advised to send off new claim aswell as my daughter is now 5 and she has started school since original claim was sent in and this has produced further evidence and she is under a couple of other departments since original claim aswell. Can anyone advise if I should do a new claim aswell, and also how it affects award if she gets one at appeal? Thank you Sarah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129370 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Childs DLA Appeal & New Claim
Sarah

Starting a new claim allows you to include up to date evidence of your daughters problems, the Tribunal can only take account of information that was available at the time that the Decision you have appealed was made. Remember that DLA for children looks at their needs in comparison to children of a similar age, this may be easier now that she has started school.

The downside is that a new claim will automatically limit any award that a Tribunal might make, so as an extreme example, if the Tribunal makes am award but the new claim does not then she would only be entitled to payment from the date the original claim was made until the date of the new Decision. Obviously any new Decision would be appealable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• sarahb254
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #129384 by sarahb254
Replied by sarahb254 on topic Childs DLA Appeal & New Claim
Thank you Gordon, do you know if they awarded at new claim and appeal what happens ? I am just concerned if we lose at appeal (which could take months from now to find out) that I have wasted all theses months whilst we appeal not reapplying. Obviously you guys have much more experience of this than me can you advise whether you think it is better to do a new claim aswell? Cos I assume if they award at appeal they can't override the new claim as in give a 3 year award. I was told they may link them together but really not sure ? Thanks Sarah

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129396 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Childs DLA Appeal & New Claim

sarahb254 wrote: Thank you Gordon, do you know if they awarded at new claim and appeal what happens ? I am just concerned if we lose at appeal (which could take months from now to find out) that I have wasted all theses months whilst we appeal not reapplying. Obviously you guys have much more experience of this than me can you advise whether you think it is better to do a new claim aswell? Cos I assume if they award at appeal they can't override the new claim as in give a 3 year award. I was told they may link them together but really not sure ? Thanks Sarah

As I explained in my previous post, any new claim will supersede the results of the Tribunal whatever the Tribunal may decide, this could be to your advantage or not, to be clear, they cannot link the old and the new claims.

If successful with the appeal, the claim will be backdated to July 2014 when you made the original application. A new claim will only apply from the date you make it. So one of the things to consider is how much you could lose in back payments if you do not appeal.

One of the things you might want to understand is why the claim failed, was it misunderstood evidence or a lack of it, If you have not already done so, you should request the assessment report from the DWP.

I am afraid this is a decision that only you can make, we can explain the options but we simply do not have the information on the forum (and never would have) to make the decision for you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sarahb254

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.