× Members

URGENT -WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF CLAIMING ESA?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129476 by susanalicebarry
URGENT -WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF CLAIMING ESA? was created by susanalicebarry
Hi everybody

I am about to transfer from IS to ESA (hopefully the Support Group) as I have severe disabilities and am currently in receipt of both higher awards of the Care and Mobility components of DLA.

Am I best applying via telephone call or by downloading a form, what is the quickest way to get my claim up and running? Also, will they stop my Income Support as soon as I apply for ESA as I currently get the full amount of Housing Benefit and all my Prescriptions etc. paid for.

I cannot afford to live on nothing as I have care needs and bills to pay. What do you suggest is the best option for me? I already have a Sick note from my GP ready to send to them.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by . Reason: tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129486 by Gordon
Suzi

Just to be clear, you are not currently receiving IS due to Incapacity, because if you are you will be transferred to ESA with no interruption to your payments, this does not apply if you are receiving IS for any other reason.

The quickest way to claim ESA is over the phone, but you might want to download a copy of the ESA1 so you know what questions you will be asked and can have any documents that you require available when you make the call.

www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

You can apply for ESA without closing your current IS claim, but it will not be progressed until you do. It typically takes 10-21 days for ESA payments to start payment at the Assessment rate, I would notify your Local Authority as soon as you make the claim, as they will receive notification of the IS claim being closed within a day or two and the ESA may take a couple of weeks.

Have a look at our Understanding ESA guide and our two ESA Claim guides for more details

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: susanalicebarry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.