× Members

breast cancer

• cheryl shelmerdine
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #129497 by cheryl shelmerdine
breast cancer was created by cheryl shelmerdine
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, having the op 17th feb, then will undergo 5 yrs hormone treatment, and weeks of radiotherapy/chemo depending on whether it has spread to my lymph nodes.. I currently receive ESA (support) due to widespread osteo arthritis, fibro and a few other things and I'm wondering is it worth trying to claim for anything else? My cancer is supposedly not terminal, but have been told the radiotherapy will make me quite poorly for a long while even after its finished. There is also the cost of going to the hosp every day as well. Would welcome any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #129507 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic breast cancer
CS

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I am sorry to hear your news.

First of all your ESA. You don't say what type of ESA you receive, it can be either Contribution Based, typically because you were working before you fell ill, or, Income Related because you are on a low income.

Even if it is ESA(CB) you may still be entitled to an ESA(IR) top-up if you are eligible (see below).

If it is ESA(IR) then this should passport you to a number of other benefits depending on your circumstances, these can include Housing Benefit, Council Tax assistance, assistance with your mortgage, free prescriptions and dental care, assistance with travel costs to health appointments.

Eligibility for ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

There is some possibility that you can claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or DLA (if you are not on the UK mainland), however, the requirements are that you have suffered your problems for 3 months and can reasonably be expected for them for a further 9 months (PIP) or 6 months (DLA).

Both benefits are concerned with the additional care or mobility assistance that you would have due to your conditions, so you not also need to pass the past/future test, but also show that you have sufficient needs for an award. I would be surprised if you would qualify on your new conditions alone (although this is not impossible), but coupled with your existing ones you may be successful. Have a read of our PIP claim guides to see what is required for an award.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

I would strongly recommend that you contact Macmillan Nurses as they have considerable experience in helping cancer patients and can also help with benefit applications.

If you have any questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• cheryl shelmerdine
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #130162 by cheryl shelmerdine
Replied by cheryl shelmerdine on topic breast cancer
Hi Gordon, thanks so much for your reply. I am on CB ESA as I worked for 30 yrs b4 I stopped working with my original illness. Doesn't sound as if I will be able to get help for anything as my husband works full time and my parents help me physically as much as they can with shopping, hosp visits etc. I know i can get free prescriptions once I start my hormone treatment (I currently have a pre payment certificate due to numerous medications already!) but was concerened about the cost of hospital visits. It costs a minimum of £3 parking (quite often costs more) and will have to go everyday for about 6 weeks at least once my radiotherapy starts. BUT I am hopeful that after that I will be clear of the cancer, so it doesn't seem I would qualify for the requisite 3+9 months. Many thanks for your advice though, much appreciated.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130176 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic breast cancer
Cheryl

The only other thing I can suggest is to have a look at the notice board in your GP surgery, they may have details of voluntary transport services in your area, I'm not sure if you would qualify but if you do then they usually charge for mileage and of course there should not be any parking.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheryl shelmerdine

More
9 years 2 months ago #130181 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic breast cancer
Some hospitals have special parking rates for people who have to attend regularly, this might also be worth looking into.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, cheryl shelmerdine

More
9 years 2 months ago #130208 by gillyk59
Replied by gillyk59 on topic breast cancer
Most hospitals offer a concession for those patients who have to visit the hospital every day for treatment/appointments etc. Its a fraction of the cost of buying daily. At our hospital its £10.00 per week. Your hospital will likely do a similar scheme.

The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, cheryl shelmerdine

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.