× Members

Contribution based ESA

More
9 years 2 months ago #129797 by debs27
Contribution based ESA was created by debs27
Hi, I was on Income Based ESA from February 2009 in the WRAG group, then was placed in the Support Group from September 2012 (following appeal in July 2013).

My partner moved in with me December 2013 and he works full time. His mother also moved in and I became her carer. I was no longer entitled to ESA as my NI contributions 2008/2009 were not sufficient.

Now that I have been a Carer for over 12 months I am considering reapplying for CB ESA as my health has deteriorated significantly and was wondering if anyone knows whether I would now be eligible on NI contributions 2012/2013.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129799 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Contribution based ESA
Debs

Carers Allowance does not actually pay NI Contributions, only Credits, so I would not expect you to be able to qualify on your NIC history directly, however, Regulations 8.2 of the ESA Regulations 2008 relaxes the Contribution Conditions for ESA for claimants who were

"entitled to a carer’s allowance in the last complete tax year immediately preceding the relevant benefit year"

The benefit year is now 2015 and the last complete Tax Year is 2013-14, you will also have to have actually paid sufficient NICs through employment at some time in the past.

So you should be able to make a claim for ESA(CB) based on having received CA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129802 by debs27
Replied by debs27 on topic Contribution based ESA
Thanks Gordon. Will it make a difference if I wait until April? Or would it be the same as now?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #129803 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Contribution based ESA

debs27 wrote: Thanks Gordon. Will it make a difference if I wait until April? Or would it be the same as now?

Hi d27,

No it won't.

The relevant Tax Years roll forward from after the first Sunday of January each year, so no change until after January 3rd 2016 now.

See also : ESA Regulations 2008. 8. (2)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.