× Members

6 months what next

• diane wyllie
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #129882 by diane wyllie
6 months what next was created by diane wyllie
was placed in support group of esa while undergoing surgery I was told it would last 6 months ,do I get re assessed or does my benefit just stop ,not sure what to do ,is it up to me to fill in form and re apply or do they send out to me ? getting really worried that it will just stop dead with no warning .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129894 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic 6 months what next
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

All ESA awards (WRAG or SG) come with a recommended period before reassessment. (The Prognosis)

You do not have to do anything to instigate this, when the time comes, your reassessment will be flagged up on The DWP computer systems, and a new ESA50 will be sent to you.

You will continue to receive your current rate of ESA until you have undergone the reassessment and a fresh decision has been made.

As you may be aware, there are currently huge delays with ESA reassessments, and many members have gone over their recommended prognosis period.

Our best advice is to be as prepared as possible. You can do this by having a PDF ESA50 saved on your P.C. keeping it as up to date as possible.

When the paper ESA50 arrives through the post, you can simply make the PDF ESA50 and any evidence current, and post it back by the deadline given :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129901 by bro58
Hi,

Just to add,

The fact that you may have undergone treatment or procedures does not necessarily mean that you should not still be in The SG of ESA.

However, if you feel that any of the above now means that you do not suffer the same limitations/disabilities that gave you the SG award, you should really write a letter to the address of The ESA Office/Centre on your most recent ESA letter reporting a Change of Circumstances. (C of C)

This will most probably result in a review of your current SG award.

To be clear, you only need to report a C of C if your limitations have diminished/changed to such an extent that you no longer qualify for The SG.

Operations/procedures/changes in treatment in themselves do not mean that you have to report a C of C.

If reporting a C of C is not applicable, you can simply wait for your new ESA50 to arrive.

bro58

• diane wyllie
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129947 by diane wyllie
Replied by diane wyllie on topic 6 months what next
I have a degenerative condition ,and when I first applied November 2013 I didn't hear anything until july 2014 ,went for medical and in sept they phoned to say that I would be able to use wheelchair to go to work , she actually said that when she first looked at my application it looked like I was unable to work due to my condition however the fact that I am still driving made her think that I would be able to use a chair to go to work I asked her how I was supposed to get the chair in and out of the car ,and she said they don't deal with that . when I mentioned that I was going into hospital that week and would be in plaster both legs for 2 months and would need 6 months to a year for recuperation she then decided that they would put me in support for 6 months then re asses . nov 2013 was a very long time ago in regard to my condition which has moved on quite a bit since then I have issues now I didn't have then ,they r all part of my condition hereditary spactic paraplegia but were not causing problems then but r now can I add those in ? and wht should it make a difference that I still drive ,at that time I stayed in a very rural location and needed to drive ,I still drive when I have to ,and don't like the idea of that being taken away from me,i don't think that should make a difference ,why does it?

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129954 by bro58

diane wyllie wrote: I have a degenerative condition ,and when I first applied November 2013 I didn't hear anything until july 2014 ,went for medical and in sept they phoned to say that I would be able to use wheelchair to go to work , she actually said that when she first looked at my application it looked like I was unable to work due to my condition however the fact that I am still driving made her think that I would be able to use a chair to go to work I asked her how I was supposed to get the chair in and out of the car ,and she said they don't deal with that . when I mentioned that I was going into hospital that week and would be in plaster both legs for 2 months and would need 6 months to a year for recuperation she then decided that they would put me in support for 6 months then re asses . nov 2013 was a very long time ago in regard to my condition which has moved on quite a bit since then I have issues now I didn't have then ,they r all part of my condition hereditary spactic paraplegia but were not causing problems then but r now can I add those in ? and wht should it make a difference that I still drive ,at that time I stayed in a very rural location and needed to drive ,I still drive when I have to ,and don't like the idea of that being taken away from me,i don't think that should make a difference ,why does it?

Hi dw,

If you don't feel that your limitations have diminished to such an extent that you no longer qualify for The SG, then there is no need to report a C of C.

When you receive the new ESA50, you can provide details of any change in your conditions, and any additional limitations.

I think the comment regarding the wheelchair is because with the "mobilising" (Activity 1) descriptor of ESA, not only are you assessed on how far you can walk with the aid of a walking stick, crutches, etc, you are also assessed on how far you can self propel a manual wheelchair unaided.

This is even if you have never owned, used or been advised to use a manual wheelchair.

Just to clarify another issue, being classed as "Unfit" for work only places you into The WRAG. To be placed into The SG, you also have to be assessed as being "Unfit" for Work Related Activity. (WRA)

Further, with respect to transferring from one seated position to another, and the scenario that you pose with getting into a wheelchair from a car and vice-versa. If you cannot do this alone, unaided, that qualifies you under Activity/Descriptor 2,

Activity/Descriptor 1. :

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

&

Activity/Descriptor 2. :

"2. Transferring from one seated position to another."

Can be seen below :

The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

You only have to fulfill any one of the SG Activity/Descriptors to gain access to The SG.

All this is explained in more detail in our ESA Claims Guide. (Supplied a link in my first post)

So yes, you can add any other limitations caused as a result of your medical conditions when you are reassessed eventually.

Remember, it is the limitations rather than the medical conditions themselves that will help you receive the correct award.

Being able to drive in itself, should not stop you qualifying for The SG.

If questions are asked regarding your driving, then you should provide details of your limitations and any help that you need to overcome said limitations. e.g. Help getting in and out of the car.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.