× Members

Home visit -v- medical centre advice please?

• Loo44
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129935 by Loo44
I'm due my ATOS assessment next month, but am worried about getting to the centre - have had a brain tumour removed, have been left with no pituitary function, this has affected my mental and mobility health and even though I could be dropped right outside the centre whilst hubby goes and parks the car, I will suffer panic attacks if left on my own. Should I request a home visit? Are there any pros and cons to doing this?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129937 by

Loo44 wrote: I'm due my ATOS assessment next month, but am worried about getting to the centre - have had a brain tumour removed, have been left with no pituitary function, this has affected my mental and mobility health and even though I could be dropped right outside the centre whilst hubby goes and parks the car, I will suffer panic attacks if left on my own. Should I request a home visit? Are there any pros and cons to doing this?

Hi L44,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

You don't say whether your ATOS Assessment is for PIP or ESA (WCA Customer Services is for ESA).

Either way, contact details for them can be found to the right of : This Page.

Have you previously made them aware of your limitations in traveling ?

If not, you can do so now, and request that you have a Home Assessment.

You should not have to travel more than 90 minutes either way, this is taking into account the use of public transport, and all legs of the journey.

You should be aware that if you do attend the Assessment Centre, that how you managed the return trip will be taken into account as part of the assessment, and questions will be asked regarding this.

So you should be ready to provide details of how you managed the journey with respect to your stated limitations.

You can rearrange an appointment once, but would have to ensure that you did not miss the re-arranged appointment if that was the case.

They are supposed to make reasonable adjustments for you if you have limitations regarding travel.

If you make a request for a Home Assessment, they will most probably insist that you obtain a letter of support regarding this from your G.P. or other treating HCP.

They generally stipulate that your G.P. Faxes them with the letter of support.

If they still insist that you have to attend an Assessment Centre at this appointment or a re-arranged one, you have little choice but to comply.

Unless you can show good cause for non-attendance you risk having your benefit stopped or denied.

ATOS are generally most reluctant to grant Home Assessments, so you may have a battle on your hands.

You can read what to expect at a PIP Assessment from Page 64 onwards of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

For an ESA F2F, see : ESA Medical – What to expect

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Loo44
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #129940 by Loo44
Thank you bro, it's for my PIP assessment - I already have ESA support group status.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.