× Members

PIP Home Visit what to expect

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130062 by Margaret
PIP Home Visit what to expect was created by Margaret
Hi dee
I am waiting for a home assessment in March.
Does the assessor need to look at my bathroom and kitchen to see how I get about ? Sorry this is my first time to send a message.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #130111 by
Replied by on topic PIP Home Visit what to expect

Margaret wrote: Hi dee
I am waiting for a home assessment in March.
Does the assessor need to look at my bathroom and kitchen to see how I get about ? Sorry this is my first time to send a message.

Hi M,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I have given your query its own topic.

Feed back from several of our members who have had a PIP Home Assessment indicates that the Assessors do not ask to look around your home, and stay in the room that you choose to have the assessment in.

Of course, you may wish to show the assessor your kitchen/bathroom so that they see any aids or adaptations that you have to use.

You can read what to expect at your PIP Assessment from Page 64 onwards of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

Other members are most welcome to give details of their own experiences.

bro58

• cplmadison
9 years 2 months ago #130123 by cplmadison
Replied by cplmadison on topic PIP Home Visit what to expect
just had my home visit from ATOS with a physio.

Overall I think it went well, he just asked questions relating to my injuries, how they happened how they affect me etc.

Do I go out to the shops, do I use taxis or buses to get to doctors, How I cope in doctors waiting room etc

what aids or appliances I use to help me (you can download apps to remind you to take medication and also to take nutrition if you look in the app store) not sure if those apps count as aids but they do "prompt" you to do things so should be worthy of points.

What medication you take, how it affects you (i use a doseage box) he asked who fills it for me.
Also is my shower over the bath, how often I bathe and dress and why I dont do it often. He asked whether having a seperate shower with a seat would help me
how you use the toilet can you get up and sit down, can you wipe yourself etc or do you struggle with pain

ask what you eat, how you prepare it, do you cut vegetables etc, why you dont use the oven and only use microwave

overall not much to worry about. I suspect asking about taxis and buses was a trick question (I dont use either)

asked how far I can walk, luckilly my doctors wrote a report reagrding this for an ESA claim previously noting all the descriptors and what I can and cant do, stamped with the GPs name/address/date

I would strongly advise writing the descriptors into a table and leaving a comment box next to each so the doctor can say whether you can do this and why you can or cant. Get your GP to fill it out for you noting any difficulties stamp and sign it. Some charge, my GP did it for free but its invaluable evidence

Now I have to wait 5-6 weeks he said for a decision

fingers crossed, hope some of this helps you, dont get too nervous just take your time answering and think about what your going to say

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.