× Members

Claiming for increased DLA?

More
9 years 2 months ago #130175 by Lawrence
Claiming for increased DLA? was created by Lawrence
Hello,

I`m brand new to the forum and have a question about my DLA.

Some 20 yrs ago I became partially sighted through a combination of a detached retina followed by sudden onset glaucoma. I`m blind in one eye with restricted vision in the other eye.

Although I didn`t claim DLA immediately I have received the lower level of the mobility component for a number of years now. Over the last couple of years the remaining sight has deteriorated meaning that I am presently approx. 75/80% blind with reduced definition in the remaining vision.

I still work. I have assistance with a taxi to work via Access to Work. I am safe enough in my work environment because I know my way around. It`s a different story outside however as I have increasing difficulty in bright sunlight and have occasionally walked into street furniture or lamp posts, luckily without injury. It has reached the stage where my wife has to accompany me whenever I go outside.

In your opinion would a claim for increased DLA, either the care or the mobility element be successful? In the current climate I`m wary of applying in case my existing benefit is re-assessed. I`m quite sure that evidence from my hospital ophthalmologist/consultant would confirm the lack of vision, in fact the consultant is currently considering whether another operation will be necessary in the near future in respect of the glaucoma.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Lawrence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130184 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming for increased DLA?
Lawrence

There was a change to the award criteria for DLA that mean that a lot of claimants who had previously only met the criteria for Lower Rate Mobility can now be awarded the Higher Rate.

However, before proceeding you should check whether you are in an active PIP postcode or not. See

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

If you are then reporting a Change of Circumstances will result in your being invited to claim PIP rather than your DLA being re-assessed.

This is not necessarily to your disadvantage, but you need to be aware.

Have a look at our DLA and PIP Claim guides for more details

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaclaims

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You might also want to have a look at the RNIB site as they considerable experience in advising on the Mobility element.

www.rnib.org.uk/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130234 by Lawrence
Replied by Lawrence on topic Claiming for increased DLA?
Thank you Gordon,
I believe that I`m due for PIP reassessment from October or so this year.
Regards,
Lawrence

More
9 years 2 months ago #130277 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming for increased DLA?

Lawrence wrote: Thank you Gordon,
I believe that I`m due for PIP reassessment from October or so this year.
Regards,
Lawrence

If you have an indefinite award of DLA then the current intention is to start the transfer to PIP from October this year, but you should be aware that at best this is scheduled to take several years and based on previous transfer projects could easily take far longer, so you might be invited to claim PIP in eight months or five years.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie, lyndilou

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.