× Members

Today's maximus news - really scared.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130290 by Chrissy
Today's maximus news - really scared. was created by Chrissy
Hi

I know I posted before, about maximus but in light of today's news I am really worried.

I am a woman who's ESA in the SG is due to come to an end in June of this year.
I am classed as a danger to myself where I have rages and these put me at substantial risk.

I know that there are backlogs and was hoping that I would get a bit more time in the support group, but now that maximus say they will do a million assessments in the first year, I am worried that they will call on me around April time.
Also, as I am a woman, I am extra worried.
I don't have any additional factors, such as being homeless or divorced.
I am really worried.
I do have your latest mental health guide.

If I get found fit for work and want to go on to do a tribunal, I understand that I won't be paid while waiting for a mandatory reconsideration, but will I be paid if the mandatory reconsideration is not successful and I go on to appeal?

Also, will my disability living allowance be suspended if I fail my WCA assessment?

Many thanks
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130305 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Today's maximus news - really scared.

Chrissy wrote: Hi

I know I posted before, about maximus but in light of today's news I am really worried.

I am a woman who's ESA in the SG is due to come to an end in June of this year.
I am classed as a danger to myself where I have rages and these put me at substantial risk.

I know that there are backlogs and was hoping that I would get a bit more time in the support group, but now that maximus say they will do a million assessments in the first year, I am worried that they will call on me around April time.
Also, as I am a woman, I am extra worried.
I don't have any additional factors, such as being homeless or divorced.
I am really worried.
I do have your latest mental health guide.

If I get found fit for work and want to go on to do a tribunal, I understand that I won't be paid while waiting for a mandatory reconsideration, but will I be paid if the mandatory reconsideration is not successful and I go on to appeal?

Also, will my disability living allowance be suspended if I fail my WCA assessment?

Many thanks

Hi C,

What Maximus state that they are going to do, and what they actually end up doing may be two totally different things.

They have to state this, to put a positive slant on how they are going to deal with the backlog.

As we always advise, I would prepare as much as you can do on the premise that you may receive your ESA50 around the time that it would be expected.

The updated information in our Mental Health Claims Guide, is as a result of fresh "Guidance" given to Assessors on how the legislation should be applied.

The Actual ESA Reg 35 legislation remains unchanged, so if you can still prove that their would be a substantial risk to your own health or that of another if you were not placed into The SG, you should still qualify.

If you ever did get found fit for work, you would first request a Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR)

Whilst the MR is ongoing you would not receive any ESA, however , if you needed an income, you could sign on for JSA with a reduced conditionality.

Once the MR has been done, and you have received The MR Notice, if you are still not happy with the decision, or if it has not changed you can appeal directly to The Tribunal Service. (TS)

Once The TS have accepted your appeal you can them revert back to ESA at the assessment rate.

I really think that you are jumping the gun a bit !! :)

Let's take it one step at a time !!

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago #130307 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Today's maximus news - really scared.
Chrissy

I know it is easy to say not to worry and a lot more difficult to do, but I do think you need to wait and see what happens.

First the statement that Maximus intend to carry out a million assessments. ATOS are not currently responsible for deciding who to assess and there is no reason to assume that this will change with Maximus, it is the DWP that makes the decision to re-assess or not.

As to the "one million", there is a world of difference between a press announcement stating intent and actually delivering this number during a year, you only need to look at the mess that ATOS got itself into to wonder how likely they will be to meet this target.

With regard to the changes in the guidance, it is important to understand that the ESA legislation, Regulations and Descriptors remain unchanged, it is only guidance and it will be down to the Decision Maker to decide whether you qualify or not, all that the assessor does is make a recommendation. This is, as it always has been, down to the claimant to present a coherent argument that they meet the criteria.

If and I do want to stress the "if", you are not placed in the Support Group again, then there are two options; you are placed in the WRAG or you are found Fit for Work. In both cases you can appeal the Decision.

If placed in the WRAG then you will continue to receive that rate while you appeal, if found Fit for Work then you will not receive payments during the MR but once an appeal is lodged you will receive the ESA Assessment Rate, if you do not claim JSA during the MR then this will be backdated to when the Decision was made.

There is no reason to assume that your DLA will be affected if you are not placed in the SG.

Again, please try not to worry about things that might happen and deal with things as they are presented to you.

Take care

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrissy

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130308 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Today's maximus news - really scared.
Hi Bro, thank you for your helpful reply.
Do you know how long it may take for the TS to accept my appeal?

• bro58
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130312 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Today's maximus news - really scared.

Chrissy wrote: Hi Bro, thank you for your helpful reply.
Do you know how long it may take for the TS to accept my appeal?

Hi C,

On the premise that your direct lodgement to The TS is filled in and sent correctly, The TS are usually pretty quick in accepting it.

The majority of the time involved will be in The DWP dealing with The MR and supplying an MR Notice to you, and waiting for the actual appeal hearing.

This process is explained in our : ESA MR/Appeals Guidance.

See also : Mandatory Reconsiderations Explained

&

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

Although as previously advised, I would not worry unduly about this !! :)

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130314 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Today's maximus news - really scared.
Hi bro, thanks for your reassurance.
In my frist post on this thread, I asked, would my DLA be suspended if I was found fit for work?

Sorry to sound such a worryer, I really appreciate your help

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.