× Members

DLA TO PIP?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130379 by newbie27
DLA TO PIP? was created by newbie27
hi
I'm on low rate mobility and middle rate care i have learning disability,
i had a letter today telling me of the slight new rate increases from april on the DLA letter it said notify them if there is a change of circumstances,

i was diagnosed with bipolar two years ago but forgot to inform them? does this matter shall i just wait until the PIP comes around to apply for it or request pip now, I'm on a lot more medication than i was before, could some one advise please, thank you
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130381 by
Replied by on topic DLA TO PIP?

newbie27 wrote: hi
I'm on low rate mobility and middle rate care i have learning disability,
i had a letter today telling me of the slight new rate increases from april on the DLA letter it said notify them if there is a change of circumstances,

i was diagnosed with bipolar two years ago but forgot to inform them? does this matter shall i just wait until the PIP comes around to apply for it or request pip now, I'm on a lot more medication than i was before, could some one advise please, thank you

Hi n27,

The comments regarding reporting a C of C in the annual uprating letter are quite standard.

It would only be important to report a C of C if the limitations/disabilities that gave you your existing DLA award had changed/diminished to such an extent that you would no longer qualify for the same level of award.

If you report a C of C and you are in an Active PIP Area, you will be reassessed under PIP criteria rather than DLA.

You can check : Here.

You should be aware that the qualifying criteria for PIP is quite different to that of DLA.

So, if you are in an Active PIP Postcode Area, you might want to take our : PIP Self Test and read through our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page) before deciding to report a C of C, or not.

If you are not currently in an Active PIP Area, and report a C of C, then you will be reviewed under DLA criteria, this being the case, your current level of DLA might be at risk.

I am afraid that this is an informed decision that only you can make.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #130394 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA TO PIP?
Remember that it is your care/mobility needs that entitle you to DLA/PIP, not the actual diagnosis. It is likely that you had problems long before you were 'labelled' with bipolar and that the diagnosis changes nothing.

However, if you feel that your problems have reduced to the extent that your DLA award might be lowered then you have an obligation to inform DWP. Otherwise you would run the risk of an overpayment at the least.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130403 by newbie27
Replied by newbie27 on topic DLA TO PIP?
no my problems haven't reduced they've got worse, so don't know what to do

More
9 years 2 months ago #130405 by newbie27
Replied by newbie27 on topic DLA TO PIP?
mines under this one
From 28 October 2013
From 28 October 2013, reassessment of some existing DLA claimants will start in Wales, West Midlands, East Midlands or East Anglia.
but I've heard nothing yet, but i have an additional condition now bipolar so don't know what to do wether to inform them or just leave it till they get in touch? whenever they will do that??

More
9 years 2 months ago #130408 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA TO PIP?
newbie27

There are two aspects to this.

First you need to check whether you are in an active PIP postcode, if you are then any reported change of your conditions will result in an invitation to claim PIP. See

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

Secondly, higher DLA rates are not the result of a claimants conditions getting worse, so even though yours have, this may not result in a higher award.

Medium Rate Care is awarded because you have substantial care needs during the day OR the night, to receive the Higher Rate you need to have care needs day AND night, so a worsening of your condition during the day (as an example) will not result in a higher award.

Lower Rate Mobility is awarded because you have been found to have problems going out or in planning and following a route, Higher Rate Mobility is awarded to those who have problems walking.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.