× Members

moving in with a loger will i lose benefits

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130380 by newbie27
hi
I'm planning in to move in with my friend because of my condition i need more help and support,
would i lose any of my benefits? I'm on ESA support group rate, and DLA low rate mobility and middle rate care,

because my several conditions have got a lot worse, its causing me a lot of stress and anxiety so my friend said i can move into his place, would my benefits be affected?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130391 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic moving in with a loger will i lose benefits
Hi N,

As long as it is clear that you are a lodger and not 'partners' then this should not have any effect on your ESA or DLA. If your ESA is, even in part, income related you should take care to keep your finances separate - again, this is in order to show that there is no other connection between you so that your friend's money cannot be assessed as yours.

Do you get any extra 'premiums' with your ESA? If not there should not be a reduction in your benefit even if your friend were to claim Carers Allowance for looking after you.

I am not aware of any other implications, I am sure one of the other mods will comment if I am wrong!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: newbie27

More
9 years 2 months ago #130401 by newbie27
Replied by newbie27 on topic moving in with a loger will i lose benefits
hi
i think i get a disability premium not sure, because i live on my home currently? not sure how mach this is?, could he claim carers allowance i think he is on a very good wage? would that be taken into account?

More
9 years 2 months ago #130407 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic moving in with a loger will i lose benefits

newbie27 wrote: hi
i think i get a disability premium not sure, because i live on my home currently? not sure how mach this is?, could he claim carers allowance i think he is on a very good wage? would that be taken into account?

If you are receiving the Severe Disability Premium then you must show that you and this person are living separately, this may require you to have separate rent books and their may be other requirements, otherwise you risk losing this payment. If you are receiving this Premium then I would recommend that you get face to face advice from a qualified advisor to ensure that you continue to meet the requirements for being considered to be living alone.

As you are receiving DLA Medium Rate Care then this person can in principle claim Carers Allowance for you, providing that they can provide 35 or more hours of care a week. If they do then you will lose the Severe Disability Premium (if in payment), this will be irrelevant of whether you are considered to be living alone or not.

There is an income limit for CA of about £100 per week, if they earn more than this then they cannot receive payment for CA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.