× Members

Jobseekers - No disability premium?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130386 by Julie O
Jobseekers - No disability premium? was created by Julie O
Evening all,
Early this month I was given 0 points from my ATOS-conducted ESA assessment after being in receipt of the pre-assessment rate for one year. It was pretty gutting to say the least. I'm still working up to calling them for a mandatory reconsideration.
When I got the dreaded phone call, I was advised to go on JSA in the meantime.
Last time I was on JSA I received a disability premium for being on DLA. An extra £25 per week or so, I think. That was in 2013/Jan 14. This time, they're telling me there's no such thing except for people in receipt of middle/higher care component. I get lower mobility.
I phoned the DWP to ask about it and they called back a few hours later to tell me I'm not eligible. Is this true? Did they really take away the premium? I can't find any info about it online.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130392 by

Julie O wrote: Evening all,
Early this month I was given 0 points from my ATOS-conducted ESA assessment after being in receipt of the pre-assessment rate for one year. It was pretty gutting to say the least. I'm still working up to calling them for a mandatory reconsideration.
When I got the dreaded phone call, I was advised to go on JSA in the meantime.
Last time I was on JSA I received a disability premium for being on DLA. An extra £25 per week or so, I think. That was in 2013/Jan 14. This time, they're telling me there's no such thing except for people in receipt of middle/higher care component. I get lower mobility.
I phoned the DWP to ask about it and they called back a few hours later to tell me I'm not eligible. Is this true? Did they really take away the premium? I can't find any info about it online.

Hi JO,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Apologies, I am so used to answering regarding ESA that my comments re : premiums and JSA were not relevant.

See Gordon's post below mine.

With regards to your ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Request, I would advise that you make this request in writing to the address of The ESA Office on your most recent ESA letter :

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

You should do this within one month from the date of The Fit for Work ESA Decision Notice letter.

You can make a late request up to 13 months after the date on the letter, but you would have to show "Good Cause" for it being late.

See : ESA MR/Appeals Guidance.

Mandatory Reconsiderations Explained

&

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

If you haven't already done so, you might also want to read through our : ESA Claims Guides

&

Our : ESA FAQ’s

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #130398 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Jobseekers - No disability premium?
Julie O

Providing you are receiving Income Related JSA and not Contribution Based JSA, then you should be eligible for the Disability Premium as you are in receipt of DLA, so you need to contact the DWP again, if they still tell you it is not payable then ask for a call back from a manager.See

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/jobseekers-allowance-jsa

The confusion comes from the fact that this Premium is not payable when you are receiving ESA, only ones that are dependant on you receiving a higher rate of DLA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.