× Members

esa work related activity group

• Tommy Miner
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130839 by Tommy Miner
esa work related activity group was created by Tommy Miner
my wife and i claim contribution based esa and we are both in the support group what happens to our esa benefits if either of us are placed in the work related activity group such as will our esa benefits then become means tested benefits as a result of this happening thanks tommy or is there a time limit before this happens to our benefits thanks tommy
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130848 by
Replied by on topic esa work related activity group

Tommy Miner wrote: my wife and i claim contribution based esa and we are both in the support group what happens to our esa benefits if either of us are placed in the work related activity group such as will our esa benefits then become means tested benefits as a result of this happening thanks tommy or is there a time limit before this happens to our benefits thanks tommy

Hi TM,

As you are both in receipt of Contribution Based (CB) ESA AND you are both in The SG, there is no time limit on the length of time that you will be paid CB ESA.

If one or both of you are placed into The WRAG at some future reassessment, then payment of CB ESA in The WRAG ("Whilst not in the SG") would be limited to 365 days :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

After the 365 days of CB ESA whilst not in The SG has been exhausted, you would have to be financially assessed via the Income Related (IR) ESA means test, to see whether you had entitlement to payment of IR ESA.

If there was no entitlement to payment of IR ESA, all payments would cease, and you would only receive NI Credits which would go towards your State Pension.

If one of you was placed into The WRAG, exhausted your 365 days of CB ESA and you were then assessed as a couple, and were entitled to IR ESA, the one still in the SG would receive the IR ESA payments on top of their CB ESA payments.

The IR ESA means test would take into account your joint capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

CB ESA is classed as household income.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Tommy Miner
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #130858 by Tommy Miner
Replied by Tommy Miner on topic esa work related activity group
thanks again bro58 exellent clarification of my question much appreciated tommy

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris