× Members

Carers Allowance - "Does anyone live with you"

More
9 years 2 months ago #130835 by LilaKitten
Hello peeps! Probably a silly question, but I am a live-in landlady with a lovely lodger/boarder over many years. I was in fulltime work when she moved in, she was on the old-style incapacity benefit at that point, maybe 20 years ago. Since then, I had a mental breakdown - had to leave work, now I am in ESA support group. She is also in ESA support group.

We tend to help each other - I help her physically with daily living, she helps me by just 'being there'.

My lodger/boarder has now been awarded PIP (both standard rate daily living & standard rate mobility) after I helped her fill in the forms (much guidance from this site - ty!).

She received a letter a few days ago asking about her extra 'Severe Disability Premium' criteria - but she says that I should claim Carer's Allowance instead.

I feel torn - I give my help freely each day, since 2000 because I'm now able to do so because I cannot work due to my severe anxiety, but I am really worried that I will lose my contribution-based ESA if I claim Carer's Allowance. Would that make me capable of work?

I cannot stand by when she needs help, I help her dress & wash etc each day, but does that make me capable of more in the eyes of the DWP?? I am so worried - I don't know what to do for the best - cannot sleep.

Please give us some guidance so I don't have to ring anybody at CAB - would rather do the forms online so I don't have to speak to anybody face-to-face.

I don't know if it would affect my ESA (I get contribution based, because income-related would be £6pw less after income from my lodger/boarder), but I am caring for her each day. This is in no way affected by my mental status, I am a human being with compassion.

What should I do???

Many thanks for any help! xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130847 by Gordon
LilaKitten

I've moved your post to it's own topic so as not to confuse the original poster with answers that do not relate to them.

Carers Allowance consists of two components, Carers Allowance itself and a Carers Premium.

As you are receiving Contribution Based you cannot be paid Carers Allowance because CA and ESA(CB) are classed as overlapping benefits, however you will have an underlying entitlement which would allow payment of the Carers Premium if you are entitled to an Income Related ESA top-up to your ESA(CB).

ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets and for completeness any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

There is nothing in your post to suggest that you and your lodger are partners but this may be a question raised by the DWP so you should ensure that you can provide suitable documentation to show that you are not, a rent book with an up to date history of payments should be sufficient.

To be assessed for ESA(IR) you need to request an ESA3 form from the DWP office that deals with your claim, if you are then you should also be eligible for the Enhanced Disability Premium for being in the SG. As your lodger is also in the SG they may also qualify and may want to check as well.

Current rate for the two Premiums are in the following

Benefit Rates 2014

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilaKitten

More
9 years 2 months ago #130863 by LilaKitten
Replied by LilaKitten on topic Carers Allowance - "Does anyone live with you"
Hi Gordon - thank you so much! I have checked my latest DWP letter, because I actually applied for (IR) ESA last year - as a householder/landlady it would open the door to me for other help eg updated boiler, essential house repairs etc.

I have no assets, but they are continuing to pay my 2nd year's ESA at the (CB) rate as my rent from 'P' counts as £19pw income (after £39 not counted as allowable expenses), meaning I would get £6pw less ESA under the (IR) criteria after 'top-up' payment because I used to be on Incapacity Benefit before the changes to ESA.

From April 2015 it says I will continue to get ESA(CB) at the same rate (no change 3 years now) because of this Disability Income Guarantee - ie £112.05 (CB) because only £106.05 (IR) after income from boarder. They automatically pay the higher rate.

I think it would be worth applying for the Carers Premium from what you said, as even though my IR rate is less than my CB rate it would be better for me to claim the IR rate + Carers Premium (I work out should be over £10pw more than CB alone).

I keep the rent book up to date, we have become firm friends over the years but both are single women - the arrangement suits us both. Since my mental breakdown I am glad of the company, & 'P' is grateful for my assistance in her daily life with her worsening physical problems.

I hope this helps clarify the dilemma I am in, many thanks again for your help!

LilaKitten

More
9 years 2 months ago #130874 by Gordon
LilaKitten

If you are eligible then you would also be eligible for other benefits such as free prescriptions and dental care and possibly other benefits such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax assistance.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilaKitten

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.