× Members

universal credits??

More
9 years 2 months ago #130857 by newbie27
universal credits?? was created by newbie27
hi
I've had a letter saying universal credits is coming in my areal and of april? do i have to apply all benefits again
I'm currently on DLA low rate mob, mid rate care, and on ESA in the support group, I'm confused with this universal credits, anyone help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130872 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic universal credits??

newbie27 wrote: hi
I've had a letter saying universal credits is coming in my areal and of april? do i have to apply all benefits again
I'm currently on DLA low rate mob, mid rate care, and on ESA in the support group, I'm confused with this universal credits, anyone help

Universal Credit will eventually replace all Income Related benefits such as ESA(IR), Income Support and Housing Benefit. It does not replace and Contribution Based benefits such ESA(CB).

Universal Credit is currently at least a year behind schedule it should have been rolled out to over a million candidates by now but in fact is only handling claims for some 20,000.

Also, due to severe problems with the new computer system up to now only single claimants with no medical problems can actually make a new claim for the benefit, the list of claimants who cannot make a claim is probably five times longer that the list of those who can.

So, I would not worry about this new benefit at the moment, it will not effect ESA claimants for some considerable time and will likely require the introduction of new legislation in order to cover any mass transfer of claimants on to UC.

We will be keeping members informed of any changes as they occur.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130878 by newbie27
Replied by newbie27 on topic universal credits??
Hi Gordon
Still confused!
Because the housing letter said on the front of the envelope
Universal credit in our area from the 20th April

So when it does come in I've read on some forums people who live on there own like
Me will lose the server disability premium which is 60 per week.

Then I've read people on esa who are migrated across will be on the transition protection and will not lose it
Even though this sever disability premium is been abolished

So as you can see I'm really confused -and more confused that the housing letter states her ready for
Universal credits from the 20th April- is this just for new claimants?

Hooe you can clear this up for me
Thankyou

More
9 years 2 months ago #130897 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic universal credits??
newbie27

There is no need for you to make duplicate postings, your posts are kept in a queue until approved into the forum. Whilst I have been on over the weekend, Moderators are not normally available at this time.

As previously posted, even though there has been a national rollout out of UC it does not affect you at this time, it is only for new claims by a very limited set of claimants, new legislation would need to be enacted to handle the bulk transfer of ESA claimants to UC and this has not happened yet, until it does, we cannot give advice in regard to how this will happen and what protection will be offered.

You are correct that the Universal Credit has no Premiums, in some cases this has been resolved by the use of an Allowance (this is the case for Carers), however, this does not include the Severe Disability Premium.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris