× Members

earmarked savings means tested benefits

• Tommy Miner
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #130859 by Tommy Miner
earmarked savings means tested benefits was created by Tommy Miner
my wife and i have savings from a personal pension of £20000 money which i recieved a few years ago before we made a claim for employment and support allowance where we are both claiming contribution based esa and are both in the support group we have earmarked the £20000 for urgent alterations and adaptions to our home to enable us to live there on a permanent basis we intend to build an extension to our property which would provide a-wetroom with toilet and shower facilities etc downstairs where our only toilet bathroom is upstairs and also extra bedrooms so my daughter can move in with us and care for us we are both incontenent these alterations to our property are essential for our wellbeing to enable us to live permantly in our property we are in the process of applying for planning permission to carry out these alterations to our property our question is this if either of us are taken off contribution based esa support group and placed on means tested benefits can we say that the £20000 should not be taken into account for means tested benefits and be disregarded because the money is earmarked for urgent disabled facilities to our property as mentioned above to enable us to live there any help to our question would be much appreciated tommy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130873 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic earmarked savings means tested benefits
TM

Monies required for essential repairs or changes can be disregarded in regard to ESA(IR), you would likely need to provide documentation as to the work to be carried out and the associated costs, any Decision is at the discretion of a Decision Maker. These monies are normally disregarded for a period of 26 weeks although this can be extended by the DM if they are satisfied that the work would take longer than this to be carried out.

See the Decision Makers Guide, chapter 52 paragraphs 52548 onwards

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...e/373224/dmgch52.pdf

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Tommy Miner
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 months ago #130885 by Tommy Miner
Replied by Tommy Miner on topic earmarked savings means tested benefits
gordon many thanks again for clear guidance and hopefully thie reply you have posted will be of great help and benefit to us thanks again tommy

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris