× Members

Difficulty requesting medical records.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130930 by Chrissy
Hi, sorry to be back again.

I am just in the process of formally requesting my medical records in writing, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and, as advised on here to do.
I am copying and pasting a sample letter from the Rethink.org site, ready to give to my GP surgery.

I have also had treatment from two other NHS organisations, (see 1) and 2) below) besides treatment from nurses and GPs at my local surgey and I want evidence of these also, namely:
1) The Minor Inuuries Unit in our town.
2) The local Mental Health Primary Liaison Services.
3) Out of hours GP's, appointments at Minor Injuries hospital, and phone calls.
I rang my GP surgery and told them what I am doing, and advised them I also want evidence of treatment from the above two NHS organisations.
I was advised that I have to put separate formal requests into the Minor Injuries Unit and the Mental Health Primary Liaison Services and was advised to phone them.

This is where problems started. I rang the Minor Injuries Unit and told them that I am putting in a formal request for medical records of treatment I had from out of hours GP's and nurses at the Minor Injuries Unit, and I wanted to know who to address the letter to, but they did not understand what I was going on about.

This task has got a bit more complicated and difficult and overwhelming for me, because I want to get it right.
To complicate things further, I am waiting for an ADHD test, as I have suspected adult ADHD.
I know this will be in my records and I can get prints off my GP if need be, I am just mentioning it, because it would explain why I find complicated stuff so difficult to concentrate on.

I was going to ring the mental health team and ask the same, but to be honest, this has drained me mentally a bit, and I thought I would come back to you good people and ask the best way to get written evidence of all my treatment from the surgery, minor injuries unit, out of hours GP's and mental health services, do I just write one letter to my surgery or do I have to write to them all?

I have a sample letter from rethink, I am just a bit stuck and the phonecalls were overwhelming. thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130945 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Difficulty requesting medical records.
Chrissy

It is likely that the Minor injuries unit will have either notified your GP of any treatment that you received or the local hospital trust, so it might make sense for you to contact the latter to see if they can help you.

Ask for the health records manager or patient services manager.

The following has more details.

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrissy

More
9 years 2 months ago #130963 by newcastle1949
Replied by newcastle1949 on topic Difficulty requesting medical records.
Recently my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and one of the treatments was only available privately so in order to obtain the full information regarding the grade, volume etc including histology report etc to take the matter further privately we had to apply to our local NHS trust, Governance Department in writing in the first instance ,they then sent a detailed SAR form and request for 10 pounds, advising that copies of everything from the Urology department that he was under would be supplied but would be chargeable, then they sent an invoice for £17.57 duly sent off, and today we received copies of everything regarding is PCancer, i have to say, a lot of it was copies of the letters sent to our GP which we had already received, but there were copies of the hand written notes that the consultant hand written while in the consultations (doctors notes difficult to read!) and histology report, all in all 20 days from start to finish.

Hope this helps
Best Wishes

SWEETHEART
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Gordon, slugsta, Chrissy

More
9 years 2 months ago #130973 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Difficulty requesting medical records.
Hi Gordon and Sweetheart.

I had also left a telephone message at my local Minor Injuries Unit and a lady got back to me.
She said that for £25, I would be able to obtain records held by the minor injuries unit, but, as for the records relating to out of hours GP's phonecalls and appointments, I would have to contact a private company called Medvivo, in order to request records of any calls and appointments with out of hours GP's.

I appreciate both your replies, you have been helpful.
I'm glad I started this now, I thought it was simple, sending in an SAR letter, but nothing is that simple when you get down to it.
Who says the NHS is not being privatised eh! :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris