× Members

Housing benefit and ESA

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131073 by Unique1
Housing benefit and ESA was created by Unique1
Hi.

I am in the supprt group for ESA. Two months ago I was awarded PIP backdated. I had waited 12 months to be assessed for PIP.

I understand PIP is not means tested so as far as housing benefit goes it shouldn't be affected , I informed housing benefit and council tax benefit I had been awarded PIP, they said they already were aware.

At the time of being awarded PIP I also recieved a short form to complete in respect of ESA I completed and sent back. My ESA increased and was backdated too.

I suffer with really bad anxiety and can't make calls to DWP or HB because of it I get so worried.
I am just concerned if any of these payments for ESA could possibly mean I should be contributing to HB payments, I worry so much about not doing things right, but my concentration Sint good and my fears of contacting these organisations are big.
I'm sorry all sounds slightly vague but I struggle to understand the payments. I'm hoping HB. Know exactly what I get from the various depts and I'm not going to land a letter about it all at some stage.
New to the site sorry for long message
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131089 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing benefit and ESA
Zippy

It sounds like the form you received from the DWP was to check whether you were eligible for one or more of the ESA Premiums, receiving one of these Premiums increases the amount that the Government calculates that you need to live on, this is the same for Housing Benefit, so rather than causing a problem with your HB it may in fact increase the amount you receive, although this will be dependant on your circumstances and what you are already receiving.

You can always get someone to phone your Local Authority on your behalf, you would have to be present for the call to answer any security questions and to authorise them to speak to this person, but they could then take over the call from there.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unique1

More
8 years 11 months ago #135571 by Unique1
Replied by Unique1 on topic Housing benefit and ESA
Thank you Gordon.
I'm afraid I don't have anyone to call them, I've been ill last few weeks apologies for not logging on and receiving your kind response.
I have an awful fear of doing something wrong it really affects me. I have never claimed benefits and worked full time for 40 years.
Yes I think I got extra esa because I don't have a support worker ? The form I received after receiving pip was asking if I had anyone who was paid to support me which I dont and I live alone.
I recieve £370 per fortnight esa in total and 200 pip per month. I know pip is not means tested,
The whole thing is a massive trigger for me, I have fears about doing something wrong,

Thank you for your response.
I appreciate it
I don't think I get email notifications that I have a response and so was not aware yuo had responded sorry

More
8 years 11 months ago #135593 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing benefit and ESA
Zippy

Thank you for the update. Don't worry about the delay.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.