× Members

PIP Clinical Examination

• Jason
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131291 by Jason
PIP Clinical Examination was created by Jason
My partner has Chronic Fatigue and attended her first PIP assessment this week (converting from DLA), as I suspect is the case for many CFS suffers by the time she got to the Clinical Examination section she was already tired exhausted, uncomfortable, upset and struggling to sit up in the chair. The Health Professional advised my partner if she was happy to agree to the examination, my partner was unsure how to proceed, the HP went onto explain she could not force her to agree to the examination and reiterated she did not have to participate if she did not feel able too. I asked the HP if she declined would she have to return at a later date to have the exam again (conscious that this ordeal was stressful enough without having to return a second time) to which the HP advised no. I advised my partner (who was struggling to understand or know what to say due to her fatigue) if she didn’t feel up to the examination then not too. My concern is that this will be recorded as a refusal and count against her. It didn’t feel like a refusal but more like an acceptance not to proceed. I cannot remember the exact words but the HP then said something like "You cannot undertake the examination because you feel too tired is that correct?" to which my partner answered "yes".

One last thing to note, at the end of the assessment the HP asked my partner to sign a form to authorise they could keep her prescription. My partner asked me to help her move her chair closer to the desk to sign the form at which point I asked the HP if we could borrow something for my partner to lean on. It felt like this was a test of my partners abilities.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago #131295 by
Replied by on topic PIP Clinical Examination

Jason wrote: My partner has Chronic Fatigue and attended her first PIP assessment this week (converting from DLA), as I suspect is the case for many CFS suffers by the time she got to the Clinical Examination section she was already tired exhausted, uncomfortable, upset and struggling to sit up in the chair. The Health Professional advised my partner if she was happy to agree to the examination, my partner was unsure how to proceed, the HP went onto explain she could not force her to agree to the examination and reiterated she did not have to participate if she did not feel able too. I asked the HP if she declined would she have to return at a later date to have the exam again (conscious that this ordeal was stressful enough without having to return a second time) to which the HP advised no. I advised my partner (who was struggling to understand or know what to say due to her fatigue) if she didn’t feel up to the examination then not too. My concern is that this will be recorded as a refusal and count against her. It didn’t feel like a refusal but more like an acceptance not to proceed. I cannot remember the exact words but the HP then said something like "You cannot undertake the examination because you feel too tired is that correct?" to which my partner answered "yes".

One last thing to note, at the end of the assessment the HP asked my partner to sign a form to authorise they could keep her prescription. My partner asked me to help her move her chair closer to the desk to sign the form at which point I asked the HP if we could borrow something for my partner to lean on. It felt like this was a test of my partners abilities.

Hi J,

I suggest that you contact The PIP Assessment Provider, (ATOS or Capita) to try and gain some clarity.

ATOS PIP Contact to the right of : This Page.

Or

Contact Capita : Contact Capita.

You should inquire whether they have compiled a Medical Report including recommendations and returned her file to The DWP, or whether they have simply returned her file to The DWP stating that she did not take part in The PIP Assessment.

Under either scenario, if they have returned her PIP File to The DWP, you should contact them for further information :

PIP helpline :

Telephone: 0345 850 3322

Textphone: 0345 601 6677

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

The Assessors do make observations as part of the assessment, and may make assumptions as a result of these observations.

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago #131338 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic PIP Clinical Examination
Did you not ask for a home visit assessment or did you ask & it was refused?

My wife has just had a home visit assessment by ATOS which seemed to be done very fairly & professionally although we haven't had the result yet. ( I say 'we' as the DWP granted me 'authority to act' status).

• Jason
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131389 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic PIP Clinical Examination
Thanks Bro58

• Jason
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131390 by Jason
Replied by Jason on topic PIP Clinical Examination
Hi Caravanj. Yes we asked for a home visit and it was refused. I spoke to a contact at the local disability rights organisation who assisted us to complete the PIP application form, they advised unless my partner was bedbound and we obtain a letter from our GP advising this we should attend.

I liken the assessments to job interviews, its not about how well you could perform the role is what you look like, what you say, how you say it and the impression you make on the day.

Good luck I hope you achieve the outcome you are hoping for.

J

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.