× Members

Are current benefit payments included as savings..

More
9 years 1 month ago #131506 by Gordon

displayname wrote: Do you know if they would count transactions yet to be paid on your credit card as a minus against your total savings/money in the bank?

Just thinking I do nearly all of my shopping on the internet using a credit card which I pay in full monthly. So if I was near £6000 I could still have my benefits payments in the bank for longer than payment period weeks but still have costs on my credit card yet to be paid. (Also I pay a private mental health professional monthly in arrears as well so that would be money owed also.)

I am afraid the DWP do not count debt as part of the calculation of assets and savings. Benefit payments are disregarded as capital for the normal payment period, for ESA this would be two weeks and four weeks for DLA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131529 by mangof
Thanks.

If you have to fill in a form declaring any money you have for checking your means tested benefits are you supposed to include any current benefit payments you have?

I am wondering whether you should disregard it yourself or if the DWP will do that. Eg if you got ESA payments of £200 you don't include that yourself in your totals or you do but the DWP would discount it from their calculations.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131545 by Gordon

displayname wrote: Thanks.

If you have to fill in a form declaring any money you have for checking your means tested benefits are you supposed to include any current benefit payments you have?

I am wondering whether you should disregard it yourself or if the DWP will do that. Eg if you got ESA payments of £200 you don't include that yourself in your totals or you do but the DWP would discount it from their calculations.

I would quote the current total but say that it includes payment of x benefit made on y date.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mangof

More
9 years 1 month ago #131587 by mangof
Thanks.

I have savings under 5.5k but my current benefit payments take me over. Luckily I haven't been sent a finance checking form but I notice another member has so it made me think about it. I am going to change the way I pay for some things - I will pay my counsellor weekly instead of monthly and use a debit card for some internet shopping instead of a credit card which will help keep what I pay out up to date.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.