× Members

ESA Claim

• Jacqueline
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131393 by Jacqueline
ESA Claim was created by Jacqueline
I'm new to claiming anything off the government, as I've always worked for the past 28 years. I've realised what a state this government is in, when I've game to claim. My claim went in on the 14th August 2014 for ESA, I'm still waiting to be assessed. I thought according to the advice I was given, that I would be assessed within 13 weeks, some 7 months later, I've not had an assessment. What do I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131394 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Claim

Jacqueline wrote: I'm new to claiming anything off the government, as I've always worked for the past 28 years. I've realised what a state this government is in, when I've game to claim. My claim went in on the 14th August 2014 for ESA, I'm still waiting to be assessed. I thought according to the advice I was given, that I would be assessed within 13 weeks, some 7 months later, I've not had an assessment. What do I do?

Hi J,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

You are correct in that The ESA Assessment Phase is only supposed to last 13 weeks.

However, there is nothing in legislation to enforce this.

You are not alone, many ESA claimants have been stuck in The Assessment Phase for 12 months or more.

You could contact The DWP :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA.

Where you could request that they fast track your ESA WCA through Maximus, so that The ESA DM can make a decision.

You could inform them that being in receipt of Assessment Rate ESA only is causing you significant financial difficulty.

This request may involve you having to escalate to a Supervisor/Manager, which would involve a call back, so it would be best if your ring up as early as possible.

If you get no joy with that, you could complain to your M.P. :

Contacting your MP

Who can be helpful in such situations.

You should be aware that if you have been working continuously right up until the time of your ESA Claim, that it is likely that you are being paid Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

Payment of CB ESA whilst not in The Support Group (SG) is limited to 365 days, see:

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

From our : ESA FAQ’s

If you were not in The SG by the end of these 365 days, all CB ESA payments would cease, and you would have to be financially assessed to see whether you could pass the means test for entitlement to payment of Income Related (IR) ESA.

If you couldn't you would receive NI Credits only towards your State Pension :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read through our : ESA Claims Guides

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries or wish to provide updates.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.