× Members

Help - A-Z of medical conditions wrong info

• Kath
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131414 by Kath
Hi, I am new to the forum and trying to go through the process of my DLA renewal. I have just looked at the A-Z of medical conditions and straight away I am seeing something that is likely to go against me.

I have various conditions but my main problem is called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) in my leg. It is a very complex and painful condition, the a-z guide states "Work Related Upper Limb Disorder (WRULD) / NHS Choices and Decision Makers are advised to discuss with the Departments Medical Services provider if necessary"

Having read what it says in the link to Work Related Upper Limb Disorder I am panicking because that is nothing to do with CRPS/RSD. CRPS/RSD can affect any part of the body (quite often a limb, but frequently a lower one) and as far as I am aware it is not usually categorized as work related - it most often starts as a result of a fall, knock to limb or following surgery. Hardly work related (like RSI might be).

The a-z goes on to say "How long will the needs last?
Work related upper limb disorder (WRULD) can be a painful and distressing problem but in most cases it will not cause significant functional restrictions"
and then:
"Activities of Daily Living and Mobility needs Work related upper limb disorder (WRULD) can be a painful and distressing problem and at its very worst it may cause a sufferer to have to give up or change a job and stop a particular activity completely. Most commonly however, it is managed with conservative measures and individuals may achieve a return to the workplace.
The return to work should initially be on a part-time basis with a subsequent incremental increase in hours and activities. Severe cases of WRULD may result in significant functional problems in self care activities (such as dressing and main meal preparation) but this is only in a very small percentage of cases. There are usually no significant restrictions in the ability to be mobile as a consequence of WRULD."
Also it states:
"How long will the needs last?
.... Most commonly however, it is managed with conservative measures and considerable improvement in function would be reasonably expected in 12 months. Although it is a troublesome condition, it usually does not cause significant functional problems."

It does state that "NHS Choices and Decision Makers are advised to discuss with the Departments Medical Services provider if necessary" but I would imagine that the decision maker would have already read the Work Related Upper Limb Disorder and decided that what I am saying is a load of lies, because the pain and condition I have is nothing like that.

3 years ago I was awarded full mobility, and then on renewal 2 years ago I was refused any mobility. I am now thinking that this could have a huge part to it. Especially as the tribunal didn't seem to get how much my pain affects me (and how severe it is - which is normal with CRPS/RSD).

I now don't know where to begin with my renewal or even if I can (or should) mention in my renewal that the a-z of medical conditions is wrong.

I am sorry for such a long and rambling post. If you've managed to read it all and understand it, thank you. If anybody can give me any advice on how I should deal with it I would appreciate it. I am in such a state right now and not sure what to do.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131454 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help - A-Z of medical conditions wrong info
Kath

Whilst the DWP will refer to the A-Z of medical conditions when looking at renewals it is merely guidance to help them make a Decision.

DLA awards are rarely made because of the conditions that the claimant suffers from, they are made because the claimant has shown that those conditions mean that they have care and/or mobility requirements, you need to explain what those requirements are on the renewal form.

Have a look at our DLA Claim guides which explain how to complete the forms in detail and if you have any questions then come back to the forum by replying to this post and we will do our best to help you.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaclaims

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kath

• Kath
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131471 by Kath
Thank you Gordon for taking the time to reply to me. I know it is the effects of conditions that determine rather than the condition itself, but I think I've just panicked after reading the a-z as it basically states that my condition comes under this other condition (which it really has nothing to do with) and that condition is not really that bad. I think I just distrust everything to do with DLA/ESA now lol. Had to walk away from the forms for today as got myself in such a state, but will look at them again tomorrow hopefully feeling a lot calmer.

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.