× Members

ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food

More
9 years 1 month ago #131681 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food

Gordon wrote: caravanj

I would make two points to your friend.

First they have an award of DLA which one supposes was made in similar circumstances, so an award in this situation is most certainly possible.

Secondly, one of the advantages of the advantages for PIP (there are some, honest) is that the descriptors and what claimants need to do to meet them are far more clearly defined for PIP than they ever were for DLA.

The key phrase is reliably, I alluded to this in my reply to Amonia. Reliably means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

So using some examples, perhaps your friend can get dressed on their own but it takes them so long that they are easily in excess of twice the time that an abled body person would take, then they should not be regard as being able to dress themselves.

Maybe they can wash themselves but only hands and face, if that is all they can do then they should not be considered as being able to do so to an acceptable standard.

Maybe they can cook a meal in a microwave but due to dexterity problems regularly burn themselves getting the hot food out of the machine, then there would be issues of them being able to do this safely.

I'm struggling for a good example for repeatedly but I hope you get the idea.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, from what you've said about 'reliabilty' for the tasks I mentioned I think they'll struggle with a F2F assessment & their DLA was awarded without a medical.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131878 by Chlorinated
Replied by Chlorinated on topic ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food
Regarding being able to do something even though with problems. Lets say somebody believes they are sensitive to all major foods(due to mental impairment) and they only eat the same junk food every day(because all food is harmful) and once a day(to reduce the harm from the food. This person may have strange ideas and eating habits however they are still eating daily/surviving albeit in a weird and unhealthy way.

Prompting this person will get them to eat different food sometimes but majority of the time prompting will not help because they have fixed ideas about food.

My understanding is the pip is awarded on the basis of care/support needs. If prompting everyday will make the person eat better then a case for a support/carer can be made since support will change the condition. If prompting doesn't work yet the person is surviving(like I have said), obviously care will not make a difference so why would they be awarded higher points when care won't make a difference and they are managing to survive. would they even be awarded higher points in the above example?

Thanks

More
9 years 1 month ago #131880 by Chlorinated
Replied by Chlorinated on topic ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food
Please can you clarify what is needed in order to satisfy ESA activity 13(a) correctly.

It says "Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions."

Does this mean, in order to satisfy the descriptor, that the person must not be able to do two activities(all the time) which are straight after each other?
For example we wake then we shower. If someone has problems waking and showering everyday they will satisfy the descriptor.
However if they can't wake, but then can shower, but then cant dress properly then this would not satisfy the descriptor because although they cannot do two activities, the activities they can't do are not normally straight after each other?

Or does this descriptor mean, in order to get max points, they have to be mental to the point they dress before they wash etc. I think most people know the order of activities but cannot actually do the activities.

Is this about whether they can't do two sequential activities or is it about whether they do them in the wrong order. Please clarify.

thanks

More
9 years 1 month ago #131906 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food

Amonia wrote: Regarding being able to do something even though with problems. Lets say somebody believes they are sensitive to all major foods(due to mental impairment) and they only eat the same junk food every day(because all food is harmful) and once a day(to reduce the harm from the food. This person may have strange ideas and eating habits however they are still eating daily/surviving albeit in a weird and unhealthy way.

Prompting this person will get them to eat different food sometimes but majority of the time prompting will not help because they have fixed ideas about food.

My understanding is the pip is awarded on the basis of care/support needs. If prompting everyday will make the person eat better then a case for a support/carer can be made since support will change the condition. If prompting doesn't work yet the person is surviving(like I have said), obviously care will not make a difference so why would they be awarded higher points when care won't make a difference and they are managing to survive. would they even be awarded higher points in the above example?

Thanks

I can only refer you back to the issue of "reliability" and the examples I have included in previous posts, for a claimant to be considered as performing a task if they can do so reliably, if they can show that they cannot perform the task reliably then they should not be considered as being able to do it.

To try and add some points from your specific example.

Maybe the junk food does not offer a balanced diet which might cause further health issues. Is the claimant able to get the food at appropriate times, maybe they only go out once a day for it, or maybe not even every day. Perhaps they eat it cold, risking food poisoning,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 1 month ago #131912 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Learning tasks vs PIP preparing food

Amonia wrote: Please can you clarify what is needed in order to satisfy ESA activity 13(a) correctly.

It says "Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions."

Does this mean, in order to satisfy the descriptor, that the person must not be able to do two activities(all the time) which are straight after each other?
For example we wake then we shower. If someone has problems waking and showering everyday they will satisfy the descriptor.
However if they can't wake, but then can shower, but then cant dress properly then this would not satisfy the descriptor because although they cannot do two activities, the activities they can't do are not normally straight after each other?

Or does this descriptor mean, in order to get max points, they have to be mental to the point they dress before they wash etc. I think most people know the order of activities but cannot actually do the activities.

Is this about whether they can't do two sequential activities or is it about whether they do them in the wrong order. Please clarify.

thanks

This Descriptor is about Starting and Finishing Tasks, so you are being asked whether you can start a task when needed or do you need to be prompted to do so, if you can start it, can you complete it on your own, if you can complete one task can you do the same for a another related task.

The ESA Claim guide for Mental Health issues, does a far better job of explaining this and importantly what the guidance for this Descriptor is, but let me try and us a simple example, please do not take it as an example that specifically relates to this Descriptor.

Making a cup of tea requires a number of sequential actions to be done successfully, so first of all, do you need prompting to make a cup of tea in the first place, would you just go thirsty or just drink water if not prompted or because the task is too complicated. Would you fill the kettle but forget to turn it on, perhaps you turn it on but then forget to return to it when it boiled to pour the water into the cup, would you remember to put a tea bag in, what about milk, even if you remember to put the milk in would you have had the fore thought to make sure that you had some and that it was fresh.

I hope this explains it better.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.