× Members

ESA WFIs

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131680 by Anonymous
ESA WFIs was created by Anonymous
I have recently applied for ESA and I think I have been WRAG group, but not had medical or even a letter, I'm assuming this is because of the backlog that they have to get through.

I have already had three work focused interviews (WFI), the first one went alright and the lady reassured me, about not being thrown immediately into work. In the next two WFIs I did not feel as comfortable as I had another advisor and seemed he too keen in pushing me into work and tried to get me to sign a claimant commitment form. Also this advisor keeps booking WFIs every two weeks, I did not think that they would be as frequent.

I don't really want to appeal to get into the support group as I feel I could do some work, however I am a little worried about these WFIs, firstly the JC is not a pleasant place lots of people including security, noisy and looks like a police station. Secondly the interviews themselves are a bit inducing of anxiety due the way you are spoken to and other people around you.

I just don't want to be forced into doing something that I cannot do and/or anything that would worsen my condition.

Just need some advice on how to handle this.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131703 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA WFIs
Anonymous

The first thing you need to do is to ascertain whether you are in the WRAG or not, it is possible that a Decision was made without your needing a face to face assessment, however, you may still be in the assessment phase. It is essential that you find out the facts as it effects your options going forward.

Contact the DWP office that has been dealing with your claim (this is not the JC+) and ask what your status is and if you are indeed in the WRAG, for the Decision Letter.

If you are not in the WRAG then the advisor is likely to be exceeding their authority in asking you to sign a commitment document, however, they can still require you to attend WFIs.

If you are in the WRAG then your options are limited, your advisor can mandate activities that you must participate in or risk having your benefit sanctioned, the commitment form is at the heart of this process, so you should understand exactly what it contains before agreeing to it in writing. Your advisor must make reasonable adjustments to take account of the limitations that result from your conditions, so if you would have problems complying with the suggested activities you must raise this with your advisor.

Have a look at our Ways to prevent and overturn ESA sanctions guide for further information

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anonymous

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131783 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic ESA WFIs
I contacted the DWP and they said I am in the assessment phase but did not say whether I was in the WRAG or SG, I'm guessing they treat you as WRAG during assessment phase, except under certain circumstances?

More
9 years 1 month ago #131791 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA WFIs

Anonymous wrote: I contacted the DWP and they said I am in the assessment phase but did not say whether I was in the WRAG or SG, I'm guessing they treat you as WRAG during assessment phase, except under certain circumstances?

If you are still in the assessment phase then you are neither in the WRAG nor the Support Group, a group placement cannot be made until there is a Decision on your claim. Technically the definition for WFIs and WRA is "not in the Support Group".

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.