× Members

Question about private pensions and ESA ..Support

More
9 years 1 month ago #131700 by Helen 47
Hi Good afternoon all . Hope someone can help.
I am on ESA ..SUPPORT GROUP . I have 2 very small private pension which with the new law's now say's that i can
...cash in ... we are talking about about £3.000 for the both of them ..could be less . Does anyone no that if i do... will this affect me at all in receiving my Benefit . I am 56yrs old .
Also is the DWP ..still working very much behind with Claimants , my benefit claim was to end in September and still have not revived a new ..claim form for yet ? .
Thankyou Very much everyone :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131706 by Gordon
TILLY T

Whether you are affected will depend on whether you are receiving Income Related ESA in part or in whole, if you are then you will be subject to the capital and savings rule. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

It is quite possible that your re-assessment has been deferred by the DWP due to the delays in the system at present, however, you will need to contact them about this for confirmation and when you might reasonably expect a new ESA50.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helen 47

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132991 by Helen 47
Good Afternoon .
I have been in touch with DWP this afternoon ..and to be honest i am still no wiser weather to cash in a very small pension or not . I have read-your reply Gordon (..Thankyou) .. on my letter it says i may be entitled to --income-related ESA ... but i do not receive any ... .I receive ...Contribution-based ESA ... In the Support Group .. which i understand is Taxable ...do you no Gordon or any fellow members what i can receive before ..Tax ....and do we have to have a limit on savings ?? ...my Husband works full time ..
I really hope this does make sense and thankyou for your time and help
Tilly T :)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by . Reason: tick.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #132996 by Gordon
TILLY

I am afraid that we cannot give detailed financial advice on the forum, you need to get face to face advice from a qualified advisor.

Everybody receives a Personal Allowance in regard to tax and will only pay tax if their taxable income exceeds this, see

www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances

There is no limit on savings for ESA(CB).

Please be aware that whilst the Government have changed the rules on how people can now receive their pension, they have not changed the associated rules regarding the taxation of lump sums paid from pension pots, so even though the amounts you are talking about are relatively small, some of the amount you cash in may be liable to tax.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133013 by Helen 47
Thankyou again Gordon ,
I understand a little bit more now . What a good site this is !
Keep up the good work in all you do in helping others .

On another note i did also ask the DWP when would i be receiving a ESA50 Form as i was due one in September 2014 ...i was told not to worry ..that unfortunately ..The DWP ..were very late in sending them out !! COULD BE UP TO..... 6MONTHS WAIT ....The mind boggles !! anybody's guess ;)...i SUPPOSE

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.