× Members

Can I claim anything, myself?

• lynsababe
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131728 by lynsababe
Can I claim anything, myself? was created by lynsababe
My husband gets DLA care and mobility both at the higher rate, he also gets industrial injuries disablement benefit, and has recently become eligible for state pension and a small payment from pension credit. This is our only income as I was told by a member of staff at the local jobcentre that I could not claim benefit. (I was on contribution based JSA for 6 months). I was actively seeking work and attended the interviews as requested.

I just wondered if she was right, it has been over 2yrs since I had any money from anywhere. We are currently getting a proportion of our mortgage interest paid by the Pension credit, but are finding it hard to make ends meet.

If I was entitled to claim benefit in my own right would it effect the payments to the mortgage interest?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131740 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Can I claim anything, myself?

lynsababe wrote: My husband gets DLA care and mobility both at the higher rate, he also gets industrial injuries disablement benefit, and has recently become eligible for state pension and a small payment from pension credit. This is our only income as I was told by a member of staff at the local jobcentre that I could not claim benefit. (I was on contribution based JSA for 6 months). I was actively seeking work and attended the interviews as requested.

I just wondered if she was right, it has been over 2yrs since I had any money from anywhere. We are currently getting a proportion of our mortgage interest paid by the Pension credit, but are finding it hard to make ends meet.

If I was entitled to claim benefit in my own right would it effect the payments to the mortgage interest?

Hi lb,

You could only make an individual claim for yourself if you had an entitlement to Contribution Based (CB) ESA or JSA.

As it seems that your own claim for CB JSA ended some 2 years ago, if you haven't received any NI Contributions from employment since that time, you would not be entitled to CB ESA or JSA.

Even if you were entitled to any CB "benefits" it would be offset £ for £ against your hubby's Pension Credit. (PC) If he lost the PC element of his payments, you may also lose the help with your mortgage interest.

As your husband is in receipt of PC, you could not make a separate claim for Income Related ESA or JSA in your own right.

Your hubby should be claiming PC for a couple.

As hubby is in receipt of HR Care DLA you could claim Carers Allowance (CA), but as hubby receives Sate Pension (which is an overlapping benefit), you would not receive the full CA amount, but you may be entitled to The Carer Premium, (CP) which is currently £34.20/Week.

If you were entitled to payment of The CP this would be paid on top of hubby's PC for you providing the care for him.

See : CA Eligibility.

&

Carers UK CA.

If you are not older than 65 years old yourself, and suffer from a medicla condition that results in limitations/disabilities, you could make a claim for PIP. (Under the assumption that you are not currently receiving DLA or PIP yourself)

Being awarded PIP would not have any adverse effect on any other benefits that you currently receive.

In fact, if you managed to obtain a Daily Living Award of PIP, you may then be entitled to more PC as a couple.

I am rather confused, as in your other posts, you seem to stating that you are renewing a DLA award. (or was that for hubby ?)

Further, in : This Post. you do not mention Pension Credit, only your hubby's DLA, IIDB and State Pension.

Has he started receiving Pension Credit since that post ?

If you can clarify further, we may be able to help further.

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

Benefits Calculators.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.