× Members

Less money on PIP, assessor has lxxx !!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131768 by TCP
Hello

It's hard to write this as I am very angry. I had my PIP home assessment 3 weeks ago by a paramedic and we explained everything at the time about my multiple health problems (ME, EDS, POTS, IBS, spinal degeneration, neuropathy etc) and she has made bold statements in the report which bear no resemblance to the extensive notes sent to Capita and what happened on the assessment day.

She stated I was calm and relaxed when in fact I was very anxious and had my normal dizziness, nausea and weakness. We told her how far I could walk, under 20 metres with one stick and holding onto my carer (my mum) and she said I was fine. We stated in my sent notes that mum does all the bills and banking and she said I can do it all. She also said I could plan and follow a route independently despite notes and verbal communication that we go straight to a taxi, A to B and I never go out alone. I couldn't. I am too unsteady on my feet and also I faint a lot. She stated my mum doesn't assist with my meds and yet she prompts and reminds me daily. I didn't even walk in front of her as my right leg had gone completely numb. I also said I had problems reading and explained that in full. She says I need an aid to prepare a meal despite telling her that I cannot cook and stand or sit safely in the kitchen that I black out, fall and because my hands have extensive nerve damage cannot cook safely. She gave me 2 points on this yet mum does all the cooking for me.

In fact on 6 counts she has lxxx about what I wrote on the form and what we told her when we saw her. I am livid.

Apart from going through all the notes and disputing what she has said with the reconsideration. Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131769 by

TCP wrote: Hello

It's hard to write this as I am very angry. I had my PIP home assessment 3 weeks ago by a paramedic and we explained everything at the time about my multiple health problems (ME, EDS, POTS, IBS, spinal degeneration, neuropathy etc) and she has made bold statements in the report which bear no resemblance to the extensive notes sent to Capita and what happened on the assessment day.

She stated I was calm and relaxed when in fact I was very anxious and had my normal dizziness, nausea and weakness. We told her how far I could walk, under 20 metres with one stick and holding onto my carer (my mum) and she said I was fine. We stated in my sent notes that mum does all the bills and banking and she said I can do it all. She also said I could plan and follow a route independently despite notes and verbal communication that we go straight to a taxi, A to B and I never go out alone. I couldn't. I am too unsteady on my feet and also I faint a lot. She stated my mum doesn't assist with my meds and yet she prompts and reminds me daily. I didn't even walk in front of her as my right leg had gone completely numb. I also said I had problems reading and explained that in full. She says I need an aid to prepare a meal despite telling her that I cannot cook and stand or sit safely in the kitchen that I black out, fall and because my hands have extensive nerve damage cannot cook safely. She gave me 2 points on this yet mum does all the cooking for me.

In fact on 6 counts she has lxxx about what I wrote on the form and what we told her when we saw her. I am livid.

Apart from going through all the notes and disputing what she has said with the reconsideration. Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks

Hi TCP,

I am sorry to hear of this !! :(

I have had to make some small edits to your post for legal reasons, but I fully understand where you are coming from, and why you are so annoyed !!

The Assessor can make statements that are contrary to the stated limitation of the claimant, and any medical evidence.

However, if they do this they are supposed to justify any contradictions !!

As you may know, if you wish to challenge this decision, you have one month from the date of the adverse PIP Decision Notice letter to make a formal written request for a Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR)

See : PIP MR/Appeals Guidance.

Mandatory Reconsiderations Explained

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

&

Sending Documents to the DWP.

It may help to point out the discrepancies and "errant" comments within the medical report, but it is also important that you reiterate how and why you score points on the relevant descriptors.

This may well involve repeating information that you have already provided, and re-referring them to evidence that you have already provided.

You could review our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

&

Take : PIP Self Test

To see whether you can improve on the way that you explained how your disability affects you, and whether you could cross reference the evidence that you have already provided.

Just because they have decided that you do not score the correct amount of points on appropriate descriptors does not mean that you should not eventually be awarded them.

You should "stick to your guns" and further press your "arguments" to them.

If you feel that The Capita Assessor was particularly bad, you can make a complaint to Capita as a separate issue : E-Mail : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please keep us updated.

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131775 by TCP
Replied by TCP on topic Less money on PIP, assessor has lxxx !!
Thanks so much for your reply. I was deeply shocked to receive the report and significant change in benefit payment. My friend who is far less disabled than me and does everything in her home, without a carer, has enhanced in both categories and my 'standard' award made me livid. I have lost a lot of my previous award on DLA.

Many thanks for the links and valuable advice and I will chase up everything as stated in my very in-depth original notes (about 20 extra pages) and what happened on the day and where the assessor was errant!

Thanks again. I am just about calming down.

I will let you know what happens

All the best

TCP

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131777 by

TCP wrote: Thanks so much for your reply. I was deeply shocked to receive the report and significant change in benefit payment. My friend who is far less disabled than me and does everything in her home, without a carer, has enhanced in both categories and my 'standard' award made me livid. I have lost a lot of my previous award on DLA.

Many thanks for the links and valuable advice and I will chase up everything as stated in my very in-depth original notes (about 20 extra pages) and what happened on the day and where the assessor was errant!

Thanks again. I am just about calming down.

I will let you know what happens

All the best

TCP

Hi PC,

Please do, and Good Luck !!! :)

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago #131789 by TCP
Replied by TCP on topic Less money on PIP, assessor has lxxx !!
Thanks bro58. I will be putting in a complaint about the assessor, too. I didn't make not of her name is there any way I can find out who carried out the assessment?

Thanks very much

TCP

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131794 by

TCP wrote: Thanks bro58. I will be putting in a complaint about the assessor, too. I didn't make not of her name is there any way I can find out who carried out the assessment?

Thanks very much

TCP

Hi TCP,

Their name and "what" they are (Doctor, Midwife, Nurse, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Paramedic) should be on The PIP Assessment Report that they compiled as a result of the "medical".

If you haven't already got this report, you can request it from The DWP.

Once you are aware "what" they are, (or were, prior to "turning to the dark side" with Capita) you could also make a separate complaint to their own Governing Body.

e.g. For a Nurse/Midwife it would be The NMC.

Once you have their name and PIN you could search them : Here.

Information on reporting them can be seen : Here.

Capita must provide the information regarding The Assessor, e.g Name, Title, PIN, if you request it.

For a Doctor it would be : The GMC

If nothing else comes of it the fact that a complaint had been made would be on their records, and might teach them to be more "accurate" with the reports in future.

I am not sure who the Governing Body is for OT's, Physio's and Paramedics, but I am sure that you could find out with an internet search.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.