× Members

Esa Support Group Rules

• crunchiebar
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131834 by crunchiebar
Esa Support Group Rules was created by crunchiebar
Hello
I have just joined Benefits&Work Site as I am really confused. After a very long wait, I have finally been placed in the Support Group of ESA. I received all back pay and new payments, however, my confusion is, am I allowed to have this money if my hubby is working, I do not claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit. I was awarded ESA because of numerous health problems, including 3 spinal operations, fibromyalgia, osteo-arthritus, carpel tunnel syndrome, and severe mental health problems. I still dont understand the rules of being in the Support Group, but I do have a relative who is allowed to have it even though their partner is in work. I am so scared that I may be breaking the law. Please Please can someone help me.
Thank You So Much
xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago #131839 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Esa Support Group Rules

crunchiebar wrote: Hello
I have just joined Benefits&Work Site as I am really confused. After a very long wait, I have finally been placed in the Support Group of ESA. I received all back pay and new payments, however, my confusion is, am I allowed to have this money if my hubby is working, I do not claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit. I was awarded ESA because of numerous health problems, including 3 spinal operations, fibromyalgia, osteo-arthritus, carpel tunnel syndrome, and severe mental health problems. I still dont understand the rules of being in the Support Group, but I do have a relative who is allowed to have it even though their partner is in work. I am so scared that I may be breaking the law. Please Please can someone help me.
Thank You So Much
xx

Hi cb,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

The ESA "Group" that you are in (WRAG or Support Group (SG) ) is not the important issue in these circumstances.

It is what type of ESA in The SG that you are in receipt of.

If it is Contribution Based (CB) ESA only then there is no problem with your husband working, as CB ESA is non means tested.

If any part of your ESA is Income Related (IR) ESA, you cannot receive IR ESA if your partner works more than 24 Hours/Week :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

If you are still worried/unsure, please reply to this topic and we will try to explain further.

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.