× Members

Iinvitation to ESA Changes of Circumstances review

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132028 by DeeDee
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find them when I searched. This question has taken me ages to type and retype

I will try and be brief as possible with my back story, Since 2002 I have had a progressive chronic illness. I receive high rate DLA and was put in the ESA support group last year. My illness has caused damage to my internal organs as well as joints. bones and nerve damage, and I experience frequent dislocations of the hips, My memory and concentration has become affected by the medication and illness. I rarely leave the home unless absolutely necessary, pain medication makes it impossible to function properly causing dizziness and extreme nausea, and I have 52 stairs to do before I get to the ground floor, and back up again. I am scared of falling down them if the hips give way, and fed up of ending up on my behind in the street when the hips dislocate.

On Saturday I received a letter from the DWP which was an "Invitation to ESA Changes of Circumstances Review" (CCOL1) appointment this coming Monday

The later stated that they had been trying to contact me with no success, I don't believe that because I never switch my phones off, and they have my home phone number.

I want to ask if I can ask for a home visit?. Would this request have an adverse affect on my claim?. I'm really frightened of the interview, and the affect the journey will have on my ability to get home or function while at home.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132044 by

Dee Dee wrote: Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find them when I searched. This question has taken me ages to type and retype

I will try and be brief as possible with my back story, Since 2002 I have had a progressive chronic illness. I receive high rate DLA and was put in the ESA support group last year. My illness has caused damage to my internal organs as well as joints. bones and nerve damage, and I experience frequent dislocations of the hips, My memory and concentration has become affected by the medication and illness. I rarely leave the home unless absolutely necessary, pain medication makes it impossible to function properly causing dizziness and extreme nausea, and I have 52 stairs to do before I get to the ground floor, and back up again. I am scared of falling down them if the hips give way, and fed up of ending up on my behind in the street when the hips dislocate.

On Saturday I received a letter from the DWP which was an "Invitation to ESA Changes of Circumstances Review" (CCOL1) appointment this coming Monday

The later stated that they had been trying to contact me with no success, I don't believe that because I never switch my phones off, and they have my home phone number.

I want to ask if I can ask for a home visit?. Would this request have an adverse affect on my claim?. I'm really frightened of the interview, and the affect the journey will have on my ability to get home or function while at home.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi DD,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If you have walking/mobility limitations, they should grant a Home Interview.

We have heard from a lot of our members who are in The SG in recent times regarding "interviews"

We have heard of Performance Measurement Visits, Compliance Interviews, and Benefit Reviews, but we have not heard them called an "Invitation to ESA Changes of Circumstances Review".

It sounds very much like a Benefits Review, but you should ring them to ascertain the exact nature of the interview, and whether it is "mandatory" that you take part.

Gordon has written a post summarising information regarding this scenario in :

The Spotlight Area.

As advised, you can challenge them to ascertain exactly "what" the interview is pertaining to, and whether it is Mandatory or Voluntary.

You can then make an informed decision on whether to take part.

Further information can be seen in : This Topic and from the links included therein to other associated topics.

You will see more detail with respect to DWP Decision Makers Guidance and ESA Regulations on not having to take part in WRA/WFI if in The SG, and " Reasonable Adjustments" for disabled people as covered under The Equality Act 2010. (EA2010)

Please keep us updated.

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132053 by DeeDee
Hi Bro58

Thank you for replying, I have been waiting for this letter for so long, and thought I had prepared myself for it. Since it arrived the anxiety has been overwhelming. I now just have to work up the courage to make the call. I will let you know how the call/interview review go.

Thank you again for the advice and direction to the links.

D

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132057 by

DeeDee wrote: Hi Bro58

Thank you for replying, I have been waiting for this letter for so long, and thought I had prepared myself for it. Since it arrived the anxiety has been overwhelming. I now just have to work up the courage to make the call. I will let you know how the call/interview review go.

Thank you again for the advice and direction to the links.

D

Hi DD,

If there has been no change in your circumstances, all should be fine !! :)

bro58

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #132780 by DeeDee
Hi

I hope everyone had time to relax over the break, I just wanted to give a quick update, I finally got up enough courage to phone the Jobcentre + on the morning of the appointment, to ask for a possible home visit, and to ask what the "Invitation" actually was. The person that I spoke to, told me that it was just a review. That all ESA claimants who had been on the benefit for a certain amount of time would be getting these invitations. It was to check that I still lived at my address, hadn't moved abroad. That my circumstances hadn't changed etc. I explained that I was unable to attend the interview, she said basically not to worry, that I would hear back from them in a couple of weeks regarding the possibility of a home visit.

My circumstances haven't changed in fact my condition has become more debilitating, but the worry regarding the decision making process is still there. Its like a huge weight the waiting. Thank you again for your help/advice before.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.