× Members

Do I Appeal or Not?

• Susan
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132071 by Susan
Do I Appeal or Not? was created by Susan
Hi, I am extremely new to this, but hope that someone can give me some advice! To cut a long story short, I applied for PIP last June, and after months of waiting, I had to have a face to face Assessment in February (this was with a Physiotherapist). I have numerous problems including anxiety, panic attacks, osteo-arthritis to name but a few. I received a letter within two weeks telling me "that it was not the news that I was hoping for" and would not be receiving any PIP. I requested my Assessment report, and asked for a Mandatory ~Reconsideration. Within a week I received a letter telling me that I was entitled to the Standard Rate of the Daily Living Component, but nothing for the Mobility Component.
I feel that the Mobility was going to be the more probable one that I would be awarded, as I can't go anywhere on my own, and on every journey I have to have my Sat-Nav on as a backup. The letter also stated that the Assessor felt that I could walk more than 200 metres unaided.
My question is: Has anyone else been in this situation, and would it be worthwhile taking it to an Appeal, or would I be likely to lose what I have already been awarded.
I would also like to add that the Physio virtually answered every question with the same comments.
I hope that someone can give me some good advice, as I only have about 2 weeks left to put in an appeal.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132074 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Do I Appeal or Not?

Susan wrote: Hi, I am extremely new to this, but hope that someone can give me some advice! To cut a long story short, I applied for PIP last June, and after months of waiting, I had to have a face to face Assessment in February (this was with a Physiotherapist). I have numerous problems including anxiety, panic attacks, osteo-arthritis to name but a few. I received a letter within two weeks telling me "that it was not the news that I was hoping for" and would not be receiving any PIP. I requested my Assessment report, and asked for a Mandatory ~Reconsideration. Within a week I received a letter telling me that I was entitled to the Standard Rate of the Daily Living Component, but nothing for the Mobility Component.
I feel that the Mobility was going to be the more probable one that I would be awarded, as I can't go anywhere on my own, and on every journey I have to have my Sat-Nav on as a backup. The letter also stated that the Assessor felt that I could walk more than 200 metres unaided.
My question is: Has anyone else been in this situation, and would it be worthwhile taking it to an Appeal, or would I be likely to lose what I have already been awarded.
I would also like to add that the Physio virtually answered every question with the same comments.
I hope that someone can give me some good advice, as I only have about 2 weeks left to put in an appeal.

Hi S,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I am afraid that we cannot advise you on whether you should appeal the decision to award you Standard Rate DL as a result of the MR request to The Tribunal Service. (TS)

However, if your appeal reached the hearing stage, and the Tribunal Panel were considering taking away your existing PIP SR DL Award, they would first have to warn you of this possibility, and give you the opportunity to withdraw your appeal there and then.

You can withdraw an appeal at any time.

If you are to appeal directly to The TS, you must do so within one month of the date of The MR Notice, using copy of the MR Notice and form SSCS 1 :

Sending Documents to the TS.

If you feel that you should have been awarded the Mobility Component of PIP, you should reiterate how and why you should have scored points under the descriptors that you feel are appropriate to your limitations.

If you are happy with The SR DL Award, you could state that you do not wish to challenge that, although they could still look at both components of PIP.

Taking our : PIP Self Test may help you identify which descriptors are appropriate.

You should also review our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

See also : PIP Appeals Guidance.

&

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

Please reply to this topic if you have further queries.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.