× Members

Sorry to bother you again.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132143 by Chrissy
Sorry to bother you again. was created by Chrissy
Hi B&W and thanks for your help with ISA's and ESA

I have been told by someone on youreable and a member on here that I should ring DWP to check I am not on income related ESA.
I know that you confirmed I was on contributions based, because my £500+ a month, pension would preclude me from Income based ESA, as per the figures on my ESA letter here:
Living expenses 71.70
Extra money because you are in the support group, - £34.80
which gives a total of income-related amount - £106.50
Personal health insurance or work related pension £19.63 (I get a pension of £500+ which ESA know about)
Total income - £19.63

then it says your income-related amount is £106.50 less £19.63 so you would have been entitled to £86.87
However because you are entitled to contributions based ESA, we will pay you £87.72
there is also a top-up payment of £0.85

My question today, is, if I ring the DWP, will this trigger a reassessment, as my reassessment is nearly due.
Or, is there really no need for me to make my anxiety worse by ringing them.
thanks
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132145 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Sorry to bother you again.

Chrissy wrote: Hi B&W and thanks for your help with ISA's and ESA

I have been told by someone on youreable and a member on here that I should ring DWP to check I am not on income related ESA.
I know that you confirmed I was on contributions based, because my £500+ a month, pension would preclude me from Income based ESA, as per the figures on my ESA letter here:
Living expenses 71.70
Extra money because you are in the support group, - £34.80
which gives a total of income-related amount - £106.50
Personal health insurance or work related pension £19.63 (I get a pension of £500+ which ESA know about)
Total income - £19.63

then it says your income-related amount is £106.50 less £19.63 so you would have been entitled to £86.87
However because you are entitled to contributions based ESA, we will pay you £87.72
there is also a top-up payment of £0.85

My question today, is, if I ring the DWP, will this trigger a reassessment, as my reassessment is nearly due.
Or, is there really no need for me to make my anxiety worse by ringing them.
thanks

Hi C,

I certainly wouldn't take a lot of notice of what I was told on yourable, it is more of a chat forum.

I gather the member on here that you are referring to is caravanj.

I can only reiterate, that from what you have written, you are in receipt of CB ESA only.

If it is this extract from your letter that is confusing you :

"then it says your income-related amount is £106.50 less £19.63 so you would have been entitled to £86.87"

The £106.50 is the maximum entitlement that you have to ESA.

The £19.63 is the deduction that they are making from your maximum entitlement due to you receiving a pension.

With CB ESA there is an £85/Week disregard rule, where the first £85/Week of your pension is disregarded then 50% of the any excess above the £85 is deducted from your weekly CB ESA entitlement.

e.g. Pension = £105/Week = £20/Week excess above the £85 allowed. 50% of the £20 excess = £10.

Therefore in this example £10/Week would be deducted from your maximum ESA entitlement.

Your pension is too much for you to be receiving IR ESA.

For IR ESA, any pension payments or other household income would be deducted at a rate of 100% £ for £ against any IR ESA entitlement, so it would cancel out any IR ESA completely.

Further, if you were entitled to, and receiving payment of IR ESA you would be receiving The Enhanced Disability Premium of £15.55/Week for being in The SG.

This would be paid on top of your CB ESA, and would be described as the "disability income guarantee" in the letter.

You are obviously worrying over this, and there is really not much more that I can say on this issue.

If you have any doubts, you could ring ESA :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA.

However, information that you receive from The DWP Call Responders that you speak to cannot be relied upon.

It would therefore be advisable to inform the DWP in writing if you are going to inform them at all.

You should address you letter to The Benefits Office/Centre on your most recent ESA letter : Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

It is your own decision on how to proceed, we can only advise with respect to the information that you provide in your posts.

Whether you ring or write, it should not trigger a reassessment of your SG Award.

Cheers

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132150 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Sorry to bother you again.
Hi Bro

Thanks for reassuring me.
My pension is actually £518.47.
Yes, it was the income based £106+ that was confusing me, and the top up.
Thanks for reassuring me that if I was eligible for ir esa I would receive the premium of £15+ which I dont.
It is also the top-up payment of 0.85 that confuses me.
thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago #132158 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Sorry to bother you again.
Chrissy

Working the DWP figures backward I get close to the £518.47 that you quote in your post, so they are definitely applying the ESA(CB) rules, the difference may be down to tax.

Were you transferred from another benefit to ESA, for example Incapacity Benefit? This would account for the extra 85p, if this is the case then you were likely receiving more on IB than you would be entitled to on ESA, the 85p is to make up the difference and may disappear from your payments after April, unless the figures you are quoting are from this years uprating letter in which case it will likely go in April 2016.

As an aside, if you have not already done so, your ESA(CB) is liable to tax so you need to inform HMRC that you are receiving it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago #132167 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Sorry to bother you again.

Chrissy wrote: Hi Bro

Thanks for reassuring me.
My pension is actually £518.47.
Yes, it was the income based £106+ that was confusing me, and the top up.
Thanks for reassuring me that if I was eligible for ir esa I would receive the premium of £15+ which I dont.
It is also the top-up payment of 0.85 that confuses me.
thanks

No problem C !!! :)

We are here to try and help our members as much as possible within the remit of the forum ! :)

Cheers

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.