× Members

Turned down for PIP

More
9 years 1 month ago #132208 by iank
Turned down for PIP was created by iank
Hi, just had bombshell dropped on me last week. I have been turned down for PIPs scored 6 for daily living activities and scored 4 for mobility. Yet 3 years ago I scored 15 for mobility alone. I have now asked them to reconsider their decision and was told I have to send in details. Now sending in a medical report from my doctor and also the ATOS medical report from 3years ago.i suffer from Asthma COPD Osteoarthritis and depression and can only walk a short distance before becoming breathless or racked with pain, ( not the 50 to 200 metres they say I can walk ) these illnesses are progressive and don't improve yet somehow I am getting better by their standards. Now keeping fingers crossed and hope they reconsider their decision. But where do I go from here? Any advice or pointers would be great as now crawling through a minefield

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #132220 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Turned down for PIP
iank

If you previously scored 15 points three years ago, then this would have had to be for ESA and not PIP. :)

Have you requested your PIP assessment report, this will give a better understanding of how the Decision Maker made the award, contact the DWP office that dealt with your claim.

Have you requested a Mandatory Reconsideration yet? If you have not then the DWP are unlikely to look at your claim again, you need to make the request in writing, see our PIP MR & Appeal guide for more details and template letters for making the request. The guide also explains the process for challenging a Decision. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have any specific questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 1 month ago #132260 by iank
Replied by iank on topic Turned down for PIP
Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply. Yes it was for ESA. Had assessment report sent to me about a week after assessment.took place, i scored 6 points for Daily living in total as follows
Preparing food
You need an aid or appliance to be able to prepare or cook a simple meal 2 points
Washing and bathing
You need an aid or appliance to wash or bathe 2 points
Dressing and undressing
You need to use an aid or appliance to dress undress 2 points

And for mobility I scored 4 points in total as follows
You can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres

I have requested a mandatory reconsideration by phone and was told it had to be done in writing.
Have now sent in doctors reports and asking for reconsideration as I dissagree with their assessment

More
9 years 1 month ago #132275 by Gordon
iank

Thank you for the additional information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133109 by iank
Replied by iank on topic Turned down for PIP
Hello, I have just received letter from DWP regarding my request for them to reconsider their decision and have now been awarded standard rate mobility as they have scored me 8 points now. I want to appeal this decision as I still think I should receive the higher rate.Where do I start and what do I need to do? As everything seems as clear as mud at the moment

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133123 by Gordon
Ian

Congratulations on getting an award.

The positive aspect is that they accept that you have problems walking, 8 points means that they consider you can walk more than 20m but less than 50m, to receive an Enhanced reward you will need to show that you cannot reliably walk 20m or less.

Did you receive a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice with the Decision Letter? If you did then you can straight to appeal, there is a link to the form to do this in the PIP MR & Appeal guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you did not receive these, there should be two, then you will have to request a new MR to challenge this new Decision.

In either case your aim is to show that you meet the criteria for a higher award. Whilst the Descriptor refers only to distance the requirement to do tasks reliably introduces other aspects to your walking, so if takes you a long time to walk because of stoppages either due to pain or to catch your breath then this may be a factor, if your pace of walking is slow then this should be considered and if you stumble of fall then this must also be taken into account as well. Finally, if you cannot walk on the majority of occasions that you need to then this must be considered.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.