× Members

IR ESA + SDP - self-assessment tax return queries

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132389 by cj
Hi,

I receive income-related Employment and Support Allowance, and now that I have been awarded PIP this includes the Severe Disability Premium (backdated to initial PIP claim date).

I fill out a self-assessment tax return every year as I have small amounts of income from varying limited employment.

All documents I've been able to find say that income-related ESA is not taxable, but I've found no mention of the SDP or whether this is included.

If my permitted work pay plus IR ESA total above or near to the tax personal allowance threshold, do I need to record the ESA, SDP or ESA + SDP as "any other taxable State Pensions and benefits"?

Has anybody dealt with this before? I can't make phone calls so my next step will be writing to HMRC and/or DWP if nobody knows! Thanks.

UK pensions, annuities and other State benefits received

7. State Pension (the amount due for the year):

8. State Pension lump sum:

9. Tax taken off box 8:

10. Pensions (other than State Pension), retirement annuities and taxable triviality payments - give details of the payers, amounts paid and tax deducted in box 19 on page TR 6:

11. Tax taken off box 10:

12. Taxable Incapacity Benefit and contribution-based Employment & Support Allowance:

13. Tax taken off taxable Incapacity Benefit:

14. Jobseeker’s Allowance:

Other UK income not included on supplementary pages

15. Total of any other taxable State Pensions and benefits:

16. Other taxable income (before tax and expenses taken off):

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by . Reason: tick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #132394 by Gordon
cj

I am afraid that we cannot offer advise on tax issue on the forum, you need to contact HMRC about the matter or a qualified advisor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 1 month ago #132550 by cj
Thanks Gordon.

At the Jobcentre it's all on the system as IR ESA, but will clarify and update here for reference once spoken to HMRC.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.