× Members

DWP staff access to records of people they know

More
9 years 1 month ago #132524 by andyf25
Does anyone know the rules on DWP staff access to records of people they know? I have discovered that an ex-partner of over 20 years ago now holds a senior position in the DWP. Our parting was very acrimonious with me being violently assaulted by her new partner.
Although she lives in a different part of the country, I'd be alarmed if I knew she was able to use the DWP systems to snoop on my personal details, not least my address.
Are DWP staff limited to be able to only access the records of their own clients?
Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #132533 by Gordon
Andy

The DWP are bound by the Data Protection Act which requires their systems to only provide access to the data that a member of staff needs to have in order to do their job.

Their "charter" is available on the following page

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/depa...-information-charter

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf25

More
9 years 1 month ago #132571 by caravanj

andyf25 wrote: Does anyone know the rules on DWP staff access to records of people they know? I have discovered that an ex-partner of over 20 years ago now holds a senior position in the DWP. Our parting was very acrimonious with me being violently assaulted by her new partner.
Although she lives in a different part of the country, I'd be alarmed if I knew she was able to use the DWP systems to snoop on my personal details, not least my address.
Are DWP staff limited to be able to only access the records of their own clients?
Many thanks.

Hello Andy,

The true answer is yes she may well be able to access your records depending on what her actual job is within the DWP. e.g if she's in charge of an investigation unit.
Whether, after 20 years, she'd risk her job by tracing you is highly unlikely since the DWP computer system would have a record of her accessing your data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrissy v, andyf25

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.