× Members

PIP Claim - URGENT HELP please

• Ally
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132761 by Ally
PIP Claim - URGENT HELP please was created by Ally
I have just realised I only have 4 days left to submit my PIP claim and am now panicking like crazy. I have been very unwell since I rang and asked for the form and got a reminder letter today to say I have 4 days left to send it.
I am worried because the mental health team I was under for Bipolar disorder (manic depression) discharged me back to my GP's care a year ago, because I didn't attend the last two appointments. It's the horrible nature of this illness that does this to me, I forget things and screw up then don't think I need help when I have in fact been seriously unwell, either in a manic or depressive phase. My 19 yr old severely disabled son has also been unwell (he is in a residential home) and my time has been taken up with sorting medical help for him. It has been a huge strain.
Please, if anyone can help me immediately, any advise on what I should do straight away or is it too late now to post the form? Many thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132767 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Claim - URGENT HELP please
AW

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Phone the PIP Unit tomorrow and ask for an extension due to poor health, this will hopefully give you two more weeks to complete the form.

If you are not given an extension or you find that you are still unable to complete the form in time, then failing to return it will likely result in your claim being closed.

If you are being transferred from DLA, this will result in your current claim being closed, so it is really important that the form is returned. Providing you can afford it, you can use Next Day delivery. I wouldn't normally suggest it but a partially completed form may be better than no form at all.

If it is a new claim with no DLA, then it might be easier to bite the bullet and abandon this claim, you can make a new claim immediately or as soon as you feel well enough to do so.

As to completing the form, please have a look at our PIP Claim guide on the following link, if you have any specific questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ally

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132783 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic PIP Claim - URGENT HELP please
Hello Ally,

As Gordon has said, phone the DWP asap.

I'd probably say something such as "I've nearly run out of time to complete my PIP form because my condition means I forget things & can only do it on a good day. Would it be possible for you to give me a 2 week extension please & I'll do my best to return the form to you."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ally

• Ally
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 weeks ago #132937 by Ally
Replied by Ally on topic PIP Claim - URGENT HELP please
Thank you for your help. I phoned and with no questions asked, got a two week extension.

Thanks again

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.