× Members

Permitted work

• Carol Bourne
  • Topic Author
9 years 4 weeks ago #132784 by Carol Bourne
Permitted work was created by Carol Bourne
Hi Folks
I am on long term ESA & need some info on 'permitted work'
I am currently under a psychiatrist for severe depression (due to being unable to work after injury), & have been for the last 2 years
Some time ago, he told me to resume my hobby if I could stand the pain from my injury (I am a qualified football female referee) - so I did :)
I referee on a Saturday or Sunday, when I feel well enough, & I get £28 per game, which includes travel expenses - I do not referee every week & only referee at below County standard (not at a professional level at all), & the season runs from September to May (no refereeing June-August)
This is all I can do, even though it can be painful & I take loads of painkillers, but it keeps me sane :woohoo:
I have just found out that this could affect my ESA, so:
Is this classed as 'permitted work'? or voluntary as I do it on an ad-hoc basis?
Do I have to it report to them?
Will my ESA be reduced / stopped because I haven't told them?
I have checked that although refereeing at this level is not a 'job', you do have to declare it to the tax office if you pay tax........

I look forward to any help with this
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #132811 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Permitted work
CB

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Please forgive my answer, but in addition to answering your question I need to make you aware of some of the worst case issues that could also arise, hopefully this will not be the case.

You need to tell the DWP immediately about this income. If you are receiving Income Related ESA in part or in whole it may result in your payments being suspended until the matter is resolved.

It cannot be classed as voluntary work as you are receiving monies in addition to your travel expenses.

It may be classed as Permitted Work (PW) but only a DWP Decision Maker can confirm this. See our PW guide for more information.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If your "job" is treated as PW then it should not monetary affect on your ESA as any earnings will be disregarded.

You also need to be aware that if your doing this refereeing calls into question any of the limitations on which your ESA has been awarded then your claim could be re-assessed as a result, for example; if you have stated that you have mobility problems resulting from the injury you mention or have problems going out due to agoraphobia, then this would be a red flag to the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.