× Members

esa medical

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132870 by anton73
esa medical was created by anton73
has anyone suffering from ME been put into the support group after their medical?
I sent loads of medical evidence but how do i proof i can't walk 50 metres . I have a wheelchair and receive DLA high rates. any advice please .
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by . Reason: tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132884 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa medical

anton73 wrote: has anyone suffering from ME been put into the support group after their medical?
I sent loads of medical evidence but how do i proof i can't walk 50 metres . I have a wheelchair and receive DLA high rates. any advice please .

We do have members that have been placed in the Support Group with ME/CFS, however I won't suggest that it is easy, the fact that you are already receiving DLA at the higher rates will be of help, do you have the assessment report from your DLA claim and how old is it?

The ESA test is not just for walking (as DLA is), your usage of a wheelchair will also be considered , so if you have not already done so, you need to include any problems that you have using one as part of your problems. The issue is described in more detail in our ESA Claim guide, see

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have any specific questions, then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: anton73

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132895 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic esa medical
I was put in the WRAG 3 years ago after a medical but appealed and was put in the Support Group, at the reconsideration stage (ie without going to a tribunal). Then when I was reassessed I was kept in the Support Group without a further medical.

I don't have a wheelchair and don't get DLA mobility. I kept emphasising the repeatably/reliably requirement, I think that was the key.

Hope this helps, all the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anton73

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132908 by anton73
Replied by anton73 on topic esa medical
i submitted as evidence in my claim the medical report from the assessment for DLA showing that i need help with care and mobility. this report was from 2008 . but 2 1/ 2 years ago i was awarded DLA indefinitely , high care and high mobility. i have to use a wheelchair.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132918 by
Replied by on topic esa medical

anton73 wrote: i submitted as evidence in my claim the medical report from the assessment for DLA showing that i need help with care and mobility. this report was from 2008 . but 2 1/ 2 years ago i was awarded DLA indefinitely , high care and high mobility. i have to use a wheelchair.

Hi a73,

Just to clarify the ESA Mobilising Activity/Descriptor for entry to The Support Group. (SG) (Activity 1.)

If you are assessed as being able to self propel a manual wheelchair more than the requisite 50 Metres without the help of another, (unaided) then even though you may not be able to walk more than the 50 Metres, aided or unaided, you will not qualify for The SG under Activity 1. (Mobilising)

Here is the wording of SG Activity 1. :

" Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

And the Activity 1. Descriptors :

"Cannot either:

(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. "

The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

If you have to use an "Electric Mobility Scooter", a Power Wheelchair etc, or you have to be pushed in a Wheelchair (cannot self propel it) this is not taken as you being able to Mobilise more than the 50 Metres.

You could also qualify under Activity 2. :

"Transferring from one seated position to another."

The Descriptor being :

"Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person."

So if you need help from another to move from your wheelchair to another seated position, or from any seated position to another seated position that are next to each other, you could fulfill Activity 2.

This could cover, from a chair or settee to a wheelchair and vice-versa, a wheelchair to the loo and back again, bed to a wheelchair and vice-versa or from a wheelchair to a seat in a car, etc.

As Gordon advises this is all explained in our : ESA Claims Guides

bro59
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132938 by anton73
Replied by anton73 on topic esa medical
that is very helpful as i can't self propel myself as small wheels on my wheelchair. no strength in my arms. i said all this in my form and provided evidence.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.