× Members

DLA for Child

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132886 by Terri64
DLA for Child was created by Terri64
Hello

I know a parent of a severely disabled child.

The child has been in receipt of Higher Rate Disability Living Allowance - Care Component for several years since his diagnoses. However, I have discovered that he does not receive any award whatsoever for mobility.

I asked the parent if she filled in the forms and she said no, the school do her forms for her and that his DLA award was renewed in January of this year.

Can I just ask if anyone believes this child who is 8 years old, should at the least, receive the lower rate on the mobility side?

The child has a very rare genetic disability caused by a duplicated chromosome. The condition is known as Potocki Lupski Syndrome. The lad is extremely vulnerable - he can not speak, he is not able to understand to walk on the pavement. He would not be safe to be out of the sight of his parents/carers. If someone approached this child and said his name, he would happily walk off with them without even knowing the person. He can walk un-aided. But mentally he is not safe.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm or not if this lad should be entitled to some mobility rate?

Many thanks
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #132894 by
Replied by on topic DLA for Child

Terri64 wrote: Hello

I know a parent of a severely disabled child.

The child has been in receipt of Higher Rate Disability Living Allowance - Care Component for several years since his diagnoses. However, I have discovered that he does not receive any award whatsoever for mobility.

I asked the parent if she filled in the forms and she said no, the school do her forms for her and that his DLA award was renewed in January of this year.

Can I just ask if anyone believes this child who is 8 years old, should at the least, receive the lower rate on the mobility side?

The child has a very rare genetic disability caused by a duplicated chromosome. The condition is known as Potocki Lupski Syndrome. The lad is extremely vulnerable - he can not speak, he is not able to understand to walk on the pavement. He would not be safe to be out of the sight of his parents/carers. If someone approached this child and said his name, he would happily walk off with them without even knowing the person. He can walk un-aided. But mentally he is not safe.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm or not if this lad should be entitled to some mobility rate?

Many thanks

Hi T64,

From what you have written, and obviously I cannot give a definitive answer, it would seem that they may well qualify for a DLA Mobility Award.

This being the case, you could tell the parents that they need to either request a late Mandatory Reconsideration of the January DLA Award, or report a Change of Circumstances (C of C) and request a review.

Of course, they would have to know what the School wrote in the most recent DLA application, did they even "claim" for Mobility issues ?

The parents may be best discussing this with the School first.

You should refer them to our DLA Claims for Children Guides 4th & 5th links down :

This Page.

There is further information on DLA MR/Appeals and reporting a C of C further down the page.

As the child is under 16 years old any review/reassessment will be under DLA rather than PIP criteria.

They may also consider enlisting the support of The CAB or the like :

Where to get advice

Or type Welfare Rights/Advice into Google for their Town/Postcode.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #132904 by Terri64
Replied by Terri64 on topic DLA for Child
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.