× Members

C o p d

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132949 by josephine
C o p d was created by josephine
C O P D

My hubby has been diagnosed with this disease. He's in the group that's serious , , I knew it was coming as his breathing was getting worse every day.

Would he qualify for any help ? We don't get benefits though, just our pension.. I would be grateful to hear if anyone knows. He is 74 .
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132962 by
Replied by on topic C o p d

josephine wrote: C O P D

My hubby has been diagnosed with this disease. He's in the group that's serious , , I knew it was coming as his breathing was getting worse every day.

Would he qualify for any help ? We don't get benefits though, just our pension.. I would be grateful to hear if anyone knows. He is 74 .

Hi j,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

As your husband is above State Pension age, he cannot apply for PIP or ESA.

He could however make a claim for Attendance Allowance (AA) where if successful he may receive extra money to help with this "Care Needs" as a result of the limitations caused by his COPD and any other medical conditions that he suffers with.

You can find our Member's Guide on making a claim for AA from the first blue link under the heading :

"DLA resources" on : This Page.

See also : Attendance Allowance Gov. UK

If he did make successful AA claim, any monies received as a result of this would not have an adverse effect on any other benefits that you may be receiving.

I assume that you have been financially assessed to see whether or not you qualify for any : Pension Credit top-ups ?

See also : Pension Credit - Gov.UK

AGE U.K. can be very helpful, and will sometimes come to your home to carry out a full benefits check to see whether you are receiving your full "benefits" entitlement, and to help you fill in AA Application Forms, etc.

Although we do not offer advice on State Pension/Pension Credit, we may be able to help with an AA Claim.

Please reply to this post if you have any further queries.

N.B. Please click on any blue wording in this post to access the information about that subject.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #132964 by Bud
Replied by Bud on topic C o p d
Hi Josephine, My Mom has COPD ..... too & she gets AA. Although she put in for it thrice before finally being awarded this. Good Luck!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.