× Members

esa support group

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132951 by bert
esa support group was created by bert
Hello,

Husband claiming ESA in The Support group, Contribution Based.

Wife claiming ESA in The Support group, Contribution Based.

What else if anything can we claim ?

Should we be claiming as a couple or as we are ?

We are both 61

Thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132966 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic esa support group
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I have changed your post to lower case from block capitals as block capitals can come across as shouting to visually impaired people who use screen readers.

I have deleted your other two duplicate posts !

Your post will not show on the forum until a Moderator approves it :

See : This Post.

I will answer your query in my next post on this topic below ! :)

bro58

• bro58
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132968 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic esa support group
Hi,

I see from your other duplicate post, that you and your wife are both in receipt of a "small works pension" as well as your Contribution Based (CB) ESA in the Support Group (SG) as individual claims.

The amount that you both receive from your Works Pensions (WP) may be an important factor in whether you are entitled to extra payments of Income Related (IR) ESA on top of your CB ESA payments.

Any WP payments are classed as household income for The IR ESA means test.

As you are both in The SG, you will have entitlement to The Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP) which is paid as IR : ESA Premiums.

However, even though you have an "Entitlement" to The EDP, to receive "Payment" of the EDP you need to pass the IR ESA means-test with respect to capital, assets, savings household income and any hours worked by a partner :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you cannot pass the means test, even though you may have an "Entitlement" you will not receive "Payment".

Current Single and Couple rates for the EDP can be seen in this FAQ :

Benefit Rates 2015/16

You would have to request an ESA 3 financial assessment form from The DWP to see whether you have entitlement to payment of IR ESA Premium top-ups in addition to your CB ESA payments.

If you do qualify, all IR ESA for both of you would be paid on top of one of your CB ESA payments.

Have a look at some similar queries : Here, Here, Here and Here.

One last point with regards to your CB ESA SG payments, are you aware that there is an £85/Week disregard regard rule for WP payments ?

Wherein the first £85/Week of your WP payments are disregarded. (In your case this would be £85/Week each)

Any excess of the £85 is deducted at a rate of 50% in the pound from your weekly ESA payments.

e.g. WP = £105/Week = £20 in excess of the £85/Week disregard.

50% of the £20 excess = £10.

Therefore, in this example £10/Week would be deducted from your CB ESA.

To be clear, with respect to the IR ESA means test, all household income including both WP payments would be deducted £ for £ from your maximum IR ESA "Entitlement" if the WP payments exceed your IR ESA "Entitlement" when offset against them, they would cancel them out.

i.e. No "Payments" of IR ESA top-ups.

If you and your wife both suffer limitation with walking, going out, daily living and/or have care needs as a result of your medical conditions, you could both make individual claims for PIP.

If successful, there would be no adverse effect on your ESA payments, to the contrary it may increase them :

PIP Self Test

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries and we will try our best to help within the remit of the forum.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.