× Members

Esa Tribunal Failure

• luke mazers
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132990 by luke mazers
Esa Tribunal Failure was created by luke mazers
Afternoon, four weeks ago I won a Tribunal for PIP after the DWP said I couldn't have any PIP. I was awarded 9 points for Daily living, and 20 points for Mobility!!! But today i had my ESA appeal and they said I scored no points.....don't know what to do now as i cant work!!! Help x
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago #132995 by
Replied by on topic Esa Tribunal Failure
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Firstly, congratulation on winning your PIP Appeal !!!

If by "ESA Appeal" you mean a Tribunal Hearing, and not a decision made by The DWP as a result of you requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) of the adverse ESA fit for work decision, your options with ESA are limited.

Can you please clarify whether or not this "ESA Appeal" was an MR with The DWP, or a Hearing with The Tribunal ?

We can then tailor our response to your situation.

Mods will be going off-line in around 20 minutes and will not be back on-line until 8PM this evening.

bro58

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133001 by
Replied by on topic Esa Tribunal Failure
Hi,

O.K.,

I have just noticed the title of your topic : "Esa Tribunal Failure", so I will assume that the decision was as the result of a Tribunal Hearing.

In that case, your options are limited.

If you think that the First Tier Tribunal (FTT) have made an : Error of Law in coming to this adverse decision, you can start proceedings to seek leave to appeal to The Upper Tier Tribunal. (UTT)

This would involve you requesting a : Statement of Reasons from The FTT within one month of the date of the Decision Notice that they may have given you at the end of the hearing, or that you should receive in the post over the coming days.

You cannot simply appeal to The UTT because you do not agree with The FTT decision, they would had to have "erred in law" in coming to the decision :

“Errors in Law” can include : Insufficient findings of fact, failure to explain why they have disregarded any evidence favourable to the appellant, failure to explain why they’ve relied on any material evidence against the appellant particularly where that evidence was put at issue by the appellant, complete mishandling of relevant evidence or applying the law incorrectly, etc.

See also : Appealing to The Upper Tier, DR UK Factsheet

Even if you were allowed to appeal to The UTT, you would not receive any ESA payments as a result of this whilst the process was ongoing.

You could make a fresh claim for ESA, whether you appeal to The UTT or not.

However, since 30/03/15, fresh "REPEAT" ESA claims can only be made if the claimant can show that they now suffer from different medical conditions or a deterioration in their medical conditions which mean that they may now qualify for The WRAG and/or The SG.

It would be advisable in this situation to obtain a fresh fit note from your G.P. specifying the different medical condition or the deterioration in your existing conditions. :

See : ESA Claims Guides

www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview

Even though there is nothing to stop you making a fresh ESA Claim, unless you can show that you should now score the minimum requisite 15 points for entry to The WRAG, they may not allow your fresh claim.

Another option of course would be to sign on for JSA where they would still have to take your limitations unto account.

You should be aware that if you are allowed to appeal to The UTT, and are succesful that a fresh ESA or JSA claim may limit any positive decision made by The UTT/FTT until the date that you received a decision on your fresh ESA claim or the date that you claimed JSA.

To be clear, they cannot stop you making a fresh ESA claim, it is whether or not you will receive any ESA payments as a result of the fresh claim that is at issue !

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133049 by Spaceman
Replied by Spaceman on topic Esa Tribunal Failure
bro58, can someone receive hardship payments whilst going through the appeal process?

From what you've said, a claimant may not be allowed to make a "Repeat" ESA claim if they can't point to a new medical condition or deterioration in the ones already mentioned in the first claim and even if they can, a negative or incorrect decision would need to be challenged by a separate appeal (and they may not be allowed to make a further "Repeat" claim whilst that's going on), whereas if they don't make a "Repeat" claim, the tribunal decision in respect of the original claim would apply until such time as the DWP decide to re-assess the claimant.

They may also not be able to actively seek work because of their health problems, so could perhaps be accused of fraud by claiming JSA and they may not be able to attend the jobcentre or comply with the conditions it might place on them anyway.

So if they can't make a "Repeat" claim for ESA or a claim for JSA, they'd be in a rather impossible position whilst appealing, unless they can claim hardship payments.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133062 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa Tribunal Failure
DJ

Hardship Payments are only available if you are actually in receipt of a qualifying benefit and your payments have been reduced or stopped for some reason. You may be able to get a Short Term Advance which is a short term loan, also beyond this your Local Authority has responsibility for providing support.

You cannot be accused of fraud when claiming JSA following a Fit for Work Decision unless it can be shown that you mis-represented your problems on the claim form. Whilst the benefit system attempts to cover all people with access to a suitable benefit the simple truth is that there are still gaps which it is far to easy for claimants to fall into.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spaceman

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.