× Members

DLA or PIP?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133070 by Sazale
DLA or PIP? was created by Sazale
Hi

My daughter has now turned 16 and her claim is due for renewal at the end of June. I've received the adult DLA forms to complete for her renewal but since then PIP has come into our area. I am wondering whether to voluntarily claim PIP instead of DLA.

My daughter's primary difficulty is mild to moderate ASD but she also has many other complexities co-morbid difficulties. She currently receives HRC and HRM primarily because of episodes of refusals to walk.

Any advice?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133076 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA or PIP?
sazale

If she has not been invited to claim PIP then this is likely because your postcode did not become active in time, the DWP are using a 20 week lead time to do a transfer, so claimants in a postcode going live today will not be invited to claim PIP unless their DLA award renews in more than 20 weeks time.

From what I can see your daughter is currently prohibited from making a claim for PIP under Regulation 6(3) of the PIP Transitional Regulations due to the current DLA re-assessment.

The stated intention of PIP is to reduce the disability budget by at least 20%, so whilst most claimants will retain their existing awards and some will see increased awards due to the change in criteria, many will see reduced awards and some will get no award at all.

So you/she need to check the PIP criteria carefully before electing to claim it. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Please ensure that you return the completed DLA forms before the date her current award ends, I would recommend that you send it by a tracked post and you contact the DLA unit to confirm receipt of the forms. We have had a number of members fail to do this and their DLA claims have been closed with little or no opportunity for appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133084 by Sazale
Replied by Sazale on topic DLA or PIP?
Thankyou Gordon,

Having looked at the PIP criteria my daughter should in theory qualify for the enhanced rate in both mobility and care. However, I think I will complete the DLA forms I have been sent so as to avoid any confusion at the DWP end.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.