× Members

Going to University whilst in Support Group

• Michael
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133117 by Michael
Hi, looking for a bit of advice and some reassurance. I've just been told I'm in the Support Group by DWP, I genuinely thought I'd be placed in WRAG only because that seems to be where they are putting everybody. I get Support Group due to awareness of hazards as I cross roads without looking, pick up hot dishes without thinking and was hospitalised last time I was out myself because I took a panic seizure that lasted 3 hours.

Even with this I still want to do something with myself because sitting around the house constantly being asked if I'm ok by my family (I do appreciate them though!) is driving me potty. I've been accepted into University (a bricks and mortar one) to do Mathematics, so nothing physical or dangerous (like Chemistry!), and I'm worried how the DWP will view this. I've arranged a DSA assessment and will be asking for a helper to take me around the university and will be driven there everyday as my partner works around the corner from the uni and will likely be picked up by a family member.

Will the DWP look on this as me being fit for work, if I can go to uni, albeit with a lot of help. Also will a student loan affect my benefit (I get contribution based ESA, and PIP). I'm viewing it in the same context as permitted work, but I know the DWP have their own guidelines and rules. I'm so nervous about doing this in case I can't manage that I don't want to put myself in a position where if I have to withdraw I'll have to start the DWP process all over again. I do want to try though, as it will hopefully give me the confidence where I could get work at the end of the 4 years if I can find a level of control over my disability.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by . Reason: tick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133127 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going to University whilst in Support Group
Michael

If you are receiving Contribution Based ESA then there should be no problem with you being a full time student see the following fact sheet for more information

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...d-questions-students

If there is an issue it will be how you are managing to do this whilst still having problems with your Awareness of Hazard and Danger, you suggest in your post that this will not be an issue, but have you looked at all of the problems that you might face? Even if you have, can you explain how you will mitigate any risks to the DWP should you need to?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Michael
  • Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago #133133 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Going to University whilst in Support Group
Thanks Gordon, there will be an issue if I do go, walking into traffic will be the biggest one because I would just do it and not think. I take moments everyday where I derealise and go into autopilot, without warning. The main mitigating factor is that I would be supervised at all times. I am also thinking about what would happen during classes, I may miss something important if I take a seizure and go into a fog. I know my partner and family will just say I'm not going if I don't have anyone who will be able to supervise me when I'm there. There have been heated discussions about this; my mum is demanding that I go in my wheelchair as the traffic is the thing she is most concerned with. There would also have to be a handover after classes are finished. I really need my family to check it out for me but there have been so many heated discussions that I wanted to ask here first, because I think they'll be looking for reasons to say no. I suppose I have to accept this might not be for me, I just really miss being able to do something.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133146 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going to University whilst in Support Group
Michael

Have you looked at the Open University? They're degree courses but less pressure and no daily attendance!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.